Brain health pre surgery

Hey All,
Just looking for some insight into brain health pre surgery. My partner is having her right temporo-occipital lobe being cut out, and wanted to know the best way to ensure the brain is healthy pre-surgery.

Has anyone else had experiences with the same lobe being cut out?

Thanks in advance for your advice :slight_smile:

Hi

I think my main advice is to hydrate well up to the point that she has to go nil by mouth. The brain struggles when you’re not well hydrated and going into an op and having to starve doesn’t help, so keep nicely hydrated as long as she can.

My other thought is not to worry. The hospital will look after her and just take her slowly step by step through the things that happen on the day. If she can, just trust in what they’re doing. Sometimes, post op, you’ll get extra symptoms because of all the upset, swelling, trauma that has just happened: she shouldn’t worry if she has lost more sight, struggling to put words or sentences together etc: these things can happen and can be just due to the operation. We have people here who’ve lost a lot post op and got it all back. So not to panic if everything seems worse straight after.

My tip for you is to remember to look after yourself. She is going to need your help, support, etc. potentially for some time post op, so be sensible about eating, drinking, sleeping and looking after yourself for what could be a long journey. It isn’t being selfish, it is being sensible and being there for her long term, like putting your own oxygen mask on first in a stricken plane. You can’t help her if you neglect to look after yourself.

Very best wishes,

Richard

3 Likes

Thanks Richard! Will take this all on board!

1 Like

Had the same area for my surgeries cut. Difference is this was after I had my AVM rupture. The only thing that the surgeries damaged were it effects my right peripheral vision. It’s not bad but it does take some time to get used to.

My partner has already lost her left peripheral vision, and the only reason she found out she had an AVM was that she realised her vision had just deteriorated over time, so we’re thankful she never had a rupture, but she’s obviously sad that she has lost that vision and never allowed to drive again. How did you prepare yourself (health wise) prior to surgery? How was your recovery process?

Well my story is long. My first surgery was because my AVM ruptured and was airlifted to the hospital to stop the bleeding and then remove the blood clot. After my first surgery was still a month of therapy to get back to normal. I kept having small seizures so then went to St. Louis children’s hospital for more tests. I had some more damaged tissue found in my brain bleed and that’s what was causing the seizures. Ended up having 3 more surgeries to stop the seizures. Brain craniotomy is what I had done. This all happened when I was 10 years old. I can say in a way it was better to have it when I was younger because I grew up getting used to it. My physical health was better a year after my surgeries and isn’t even noticeable but short term memory loss is the biggest trick. It’s really the hidden scar. It’s not bad but when multitasking at work I might forget where I put something. Luckily my boss new my family when all this happened so he understands the story.