Barrow Institue

Has anyone had their avm treated at the Barrow Institute? I spoke with the neuro team there and they had so much information. It claims to be one of the premiere destinations in the world for neurology and neurosurgery. I wanted to see if there were others who have been there?

Abbey

My Dr was Daniel Barrow at Emory. When others couldn’t, he saved my life. Best of the best.

The Barrow Institue is in Arizona. But I’m glad you had a good experience with your doctor!

Abbey, it’s world renowned for AVMs. One of the founding members, Dr Spetzler, helped to come up with the Spetzler-Martin grading system. I received a second opinion from him, and may visiting there if my gamma knife doesn’t work.

Do your homework (I did, too), and I think you’ll find you’re dealing with a world class hospital with great docs. All the best!

Hi Abbey,

I have been having my angios and embos at Barrow since 2006. I'm starting to lose count of how many times I've been there now! I'll be going again in April for another angio and hopefully this time they'll be able to re-embolize the AVM (which is in my spinal cord, along with an aneurysm). They tried to re-embolize in 2011 but weren't able to.

My doctors there are Dr. Cameron McDougall and Dr. Robert Spetzler. I can't say enough good things about them. Seriously, I think they've probably saved my life.

I had the privilege of hearing Dr. Spetzler speak at an Angioma Alliance Family Conference in 2006, three weeks before going to Barrow/St. Joseph's for my first angio and embo. I knew then that I was going to be in highly experienced, capable and caring hands. From the moment I met Dr. McDougall, and Dr. Spetzler, in person finally, I felt like I had been paired with the best doctors possible for me.

The two docs and everyone on their team, including Reina in Dr. McDougall's office and all of the staff at the hospital - especially the nurses, are wonderful, excellent. They are so caring and give me all the time I need to have things explained and to do everything they can to make sure I'm as comfortable as possible.

I have to travel to go there and sometimes that's a little difficult, but I don't care - it's so worth it to me. I wouldn't go to anyone else now even if there were a neurosurgeon in my state who could do the angios and embos.

Barrow is indeed world renowned and I've communicated over the years with many people who've been treated there. Never once has any of those people had complaints (at least not to me), only praise and gratitude - like me.

HI Abbey- I don't have any personal experience with Barrow Institute, but I have only heard good things, or I should say excellent feedback. I believe they have a fairly inexpensive 2nd opinion program too. They are certainly a facility that you should contact. Please be sure to keep us updated Abbey.

Yes my son Jacob has been there for both of his AVM bleeds. Dr.Shetter for Gamma Knife.Dr. Speztler and team for his embolization and possible craniotomy. We are grateful to have been there and gotten the help necessary to have saved his life. The second time we were placed at Health South for rehab. and that was a tremendous help for recovery.If there is anything we can help answer please let us know.

So much praise! Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel way more comfortable with the information I received from them now. I really appreciate it!!

Hi Abbey,
Two years ago I had a crainiotomy and embolization at Barrow’s. Dr. Spetzler and Dr. McDougal were my doctors. I’m grateful every day for those two doctors and the team of professionals that removed my AVM. They saved my life. I had a good recovery and flew home 8 days after surgery. I was in the hospital 4 1/2 days.