AVMs and twisty veins

Maybe check with a couple other doctors for their opinions, too?

Good Luck!

Lisa

I've learned I can translate doctor talk most of the time, but radiologist speak an entirely different language that I can't decipher. I wonder why that is.

Almost everything can effect your veins. Water intake, medications, age, caffeine, you name it. It’s best to drink lots of water the day of and the day before, also try to cut back on the caffeine also. People make mistakes, we are human, and will not get everyone’s blood the first time everytime. Hope this helps.

When doctors talk to patients, I think they generally try to use language the patients can understand. But radiologists are usually directing their reports to doctors and speak the medical jargon and technical terminology only other medical people know.

So sorry for you, and I can not say that I have heard that here, but I really hope, eventually, you will find all the right answers.

How about a 2ND or 3RD OPINION!?!? I feel that could be a KEY.

Lisa A. Stuckel

I had my second operation to remove an AVM two weeks ago. They started one IV before putting me out. When I woke up I had a bruise on one forearm with no IV, a bruise on the other forearm with no IV, an IV on the back of my hand and IVs in both feet.

It doesn't seem surprising at all you have bruises from IV's....I am not a phlebotomist but just my own personal experiences remind me there's usually a bruise after they tried to get a vein , which is what it sounds like happened to you. Sometimes even after they've "gotten a vein" it won't hold up. And So they have to go to the next hopefully place. Hope you did well otherwise and are doing very well now. Sally

On the road to recovery.

I could be wrong, but are not most AVM's 'twisted'? I thought that is why AVM are there, because they do not let the blood flow like normal arteries and veins.

Could there be another reason that you can not get your blood draws or insert an IV?

This is just my opinion.

Good luck to find the right answers!

Lisa