AVM Surgery

Hi Amanda glad your surgery went well as with all things time will heal all. I just had my craniotomy Feb. 25 I felt the waiting leading up to the actual surgery was more stressful than the operation itself. I was nauseated and headachey for about 10 days after surgery. I like you had a couple of grand mal seizures 6 months ago which is how they found the avm. I am on dilantin and thank heavens haven't had any more seizures but it is always on your mind. I too suffer from fatigue but i'm sure that will ease as things get back to normal. I am so thankful to be alive and will take this as a wake up call and try to live as healthfully as possible. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Lynda

Amanda said:

Just wanted to give an update on how everything went. My surgery went well for the most part, took 5.5 hours in total. After surgery, I was told that I actually did not have an abnormal blood vessel, it was a tumor. They are doing more tests on the tumor to see what, if anything else will need to be done but the inital results did not show as being cancerous. I had surgery on Monday the 21st, and was able to come home on that Tuesday the 22nd. I am still recovering and actually just had a partial episode (not a full blackout seizure) yesterday. I go in for a follow up visit next wednesday, will be getting the stitches out of my head and also go in for a CT scan. Besides headaches and migraines since surgery, I have noticed that I am having issues with my eyesight. I was told this is common because of where the tumor and surgery was performed was close to my vision part of the brain.

Also I want to apologize if this doesnt make sense or is really scattered written, as I am having problems focusing and being able to read full sentences.

Hi Amanda,

You did just fine, and your post makes sense. I'm glad that you got through your procedure and that you're home so soon! It's great that your tumor is not cancerous. The headaches and migraines will subside. Sometimes the good thing to do is to take things a day at a time.

Good luck on your follow-up next Wednesday. I hope things go well for you.

I've had problems with my eye sight as well. It did improve, slowly. Hopefully your eye sight will improve as well.

I Amanda said:

Just wanted to give an update on how everything went. My surgery went well for the most part, took 5.5 hours in total. After surgery, I was told that I actually did not have an abnormal blood vessel, it was a tumor. They are doing more tests on the tumor to see what, if anything else will need to be done but the inital results did not show as being cancerous. I had surgery on Monday the 21st, and was able to come home on that Tuesday the 22nd. I am still recovering and actually just had a partial episode (not a full blackout seizure) yesterday. I go in for a follow up visit next wednesday, will be getting the stitches out of my head and also go in for a CT scan. Besides headaches and migraines since surgery, I have noticed that I am having issues with my eyesight. I was told this is common because of where the tumor and surgery was performed was close to my vision part of the brain.

Also I want to apologize if this doesnt make sense or is really scattered written, as I am having problems focusing and being able to read full sentences.