Avm Rupture

Hello, my names karmen my boyfriend had an avm that ruptured we are 2 months in and he is getting therapy but he cannot do anything on his own was wondering if anyone has gone through the same?

Hello Karmen, and welcome to the site. It’s great you’re here. You’ll find a lot of different experiences among the folks here. After my bleed, when I returned home I was really limited for several weeks but started to slowly regain my ability to do most things. It did take time and required patience, something I was not that blessed with. 6 months after my bleed I had gamma knife. Certainly concerns about recovery warrant a conversation with the doctor. Take Care, John.

3 Likes

It will take some time before he is like himself again. I was in the hospital for two months before I was brought back home but even then 3 times a week I still had therapy to recover my self. He may never completely be back to being able to do everything that he used to do but have patience and let him try his best. If any questions just ask.

1 Like

Hi, Karmen

Wow, this is a tough time for you and your BF. Tell us about where the AVM was, and what kind of surgery he had. How did he discover that he had an AVM?
AVMs can occur almost anywhere in the body. If you can tell us more about what kind, and where, it is, more people will be able to offer you their wisdom.
All the best to both of you!
Seenie from Moderator Support

hes still in a hospital but just for therapy he cant talk or walk or do anything. hes improving day by day he can move his head just a bit and do a thumbs up and down but we’re going on 3 months in about 2 weeks…

his avm was on his right side so his left side of his body was the one that was damaged from the rupture. im not sure the size but it was pretty big maybe about 8 cm. he had a major headache and couldn’t move his left side so we rushed him to the hospital were he had surgery to remove it and it was completely removed.

Hi there, sorry to hear about this and please know it is very common, especially right here with all the survivors… keep strong and positive as there is light at the end of the tunnel and if there is anything else you would like to ask well you have come to the right place… God bless!

1 Like

Welcome Karmen! It is difficult to be patient in these situations but recovery is a slow process.
I was in the hospital for 2 months and I could not walk or lift my left arm above my head until the 3rd month. They key to recovery is a positive attitude,hard work and surround yourself with friends and family to help keep his spirits up during the rough times.
do plenty of research and ask alot of questions.
This forum has many good people who can help support you and him through this

1 Like