AVM Rupture Recovery?

What happens during the recovery process? My boyfriend is being moved to a rehab center (he's in a vegitative/locked-in state at the moment) and they're going to evaluate him and see how much he will be able to recover from the rupture... I'm just wondering how does this work? He's only 22, no prior medical issues and is otherwise healthy... Any experiences would be fantastic to hear! Thanks.

I hope others will weigh in here, ashtinshayne. Everyone has their own unique pace of recovery. Sometimes comparing can just make you feel downhearted, if your loved one isn't proceeding as fast as someone else. As long as he is headed in the right direction, that is what matters.

Here is another family eagerly awaiting recovery: http://www.avmsurvivors.org/profile/boz
Perhaps following along with their story can help you know that you are not the only one going through this harrowing experience. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Take a look at our Success Stories group, as well: http://www.avmsurvivors.org/group/s

Best wishes!

ashtinshayne, I'm so sorry your boyfriend had such a terrible time. I didn't have a rupture, however, I did have a very bad time during 14hr then 6hr surgeries which left me in a coma for 3 weeks and 3 mths in hospital with no memory of that time at all. The brain surgeon was unsure for many weeks if I would survive and how I would recover. But, I DID recover, very slowly, I learnt to walk, talk, understand, write, etc. It takes a long time for the brain to heal, especially after such trauma. Please keep us posted as to your boyfriend's progress and all the very best to you both.

I can't relate to the seriousness of your boyfriend's recovery. I was in the hospital for 10 days after surgery and walked out no problem. I just want to add that I did recover 100%, and I hope the same for you two.
-chad

Hi Ashtinshayne - I agree that comparing can be emotionally draining, and your and your boyfriend’s energy can be focused on your own priorities right now instead. I know that it can be very difficult to not compare; one thing that I read recently had to do with how we tend to frame things as "I can’t do ____ anymore, whereas the shift in wording could be “I’m free from ____ now”. That’s one way to deal with comparison.

But just so you know, my initial diagnosis was Locked-In Syndrome…at the hospital where I had my surgeries. In my case, after being in rehab for what seemed like forever- but wasn’t obviously : ), I regained a lot of functioning with a lot of work and a lot of help from my PTs, OTs, and Speech Therapists.

It can be done. It’s a careful balance between keeping hope, staying strong, and being prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.

He will need your support. I give you a lot of props for seeking out this site!

It will get better.