AVM recurrence

I am 29 years old and I had a successful craniactomy last December and my AVM was surgically removed. Right now I am doing really good. However, my doctor has advised me to go for a MRI/MRA after 3 years and every 5 years after that. Hence, I was wondering how common is it for an AVM to recur. Has anybody had their AVM recurring after it was successfully removed surgically.

I had my AVM embolized and have to finish it off with pinpointed radiation. I was told that I need to get an MRI and MRA every year for 3 years and then every 5 years after. I don't think that the issue is that is can reoccur, but from what I understand sometimes there are tiny bits of it left and they need to continue to monitor you to make sure that it is all gone.

AVM's can recur around the periphery of a resected lesion. The interval that your doctor has advised suggests to me that he is pretty confident that he got it all. Good luck to you

Thanks for the reply. My doctor did tell me that the surgery couldn't have been any better.

Thats what ive been told and its been 5+yrs later and no regrwoth has been found... God bless!

Periodic MRIs could be to ensure the progress is satisfactorily. After all, your brain did go through a lot. Furthermore, as others have suggested, it may be to ensure no remnants remain.

My son had his AVM resected from his temple to his collarbone. About 3 years later it came back. We are still trying to eradicate it.

Noncerebral (outside the brain) AVMs have a much higher chance of regrowth. I wish you and your son all the best, Ana.

How old was your son Ana… God bless!

Hi Sam - an AVM can recur if there is any part of the AVM that is not removed completely during surgery. Perhaps if you speak to your doctor you could get one after 2 years if that makes you feel better. Three years seems like a long time and if it makes you feel better psychologically to get one done sooner, please speak to your Neuro about it. Best of luck having a conversation with your doc and please let us know what happens. Btw, congrats on your successful surgery :).