AVM Left Leg -----> BKA

I have AVM Left Leg. My life change after surgery 28 years ago, when i was 6 years old. My condition get worst from year to year until recently i make my decision to do Below Knee Amputation. Today exactly 1 week after amputation. No more AVM and wish for a better life soon after getting my prosthetic leg.

1 Like

It took great courage to do what you did, but you’re AVM free now! :slight_smile: I wish you the very best in the next chapter of your life. Please keep in touch periodically to let us know how you’re doing.

1 Like

Bless you as you go on your journey in life! You’re a brave soul.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience Sha Faisha. I am sure it was a very difficult decision for you as to whether or not you should do a below knee amutation and you are certainly very brave and I'm sure an inspiration to many. Congrats on no longer having an AVM and may you find peace as you get used to your new life:).

1 Like

I am in exactly the same boat. I'm 28, diagnosed with AVM just this year, but had it my whole life. It effects all three arteries in my lower leg, have an ulcer on my foot that will never heal, it hurts all the time and all three arteries are classified as aneuristic. Was told it's only going to get worse and more painful.
I'm a film-maker and the idea of being in pain for the rest of my life was not something that bode well with me. I am not between choosing to do a BKA right now as well or basically watching my foot rot off my leg due to the AVM until it ultimately leads to amputation anyway. Figured it was probably better to make that choice while I am still sort of young and can come back from this with a little more gusto. I've been looking for people with similar cases to mine as I make this difficult decision. Thank you for sharing and best of luck.

1 Like