AVM damage

When I was 55 my AVM was discovered and surgery in 2012. I am 70 now.
My question is: When did the damage occurr or has been ongoing?
In 6th grade, my parent took me out of shooll and I had a tutor for 3 monthsI don’t remember the reason. When I was in 8th grade, my parents were told
that the school would not allow me to take any classes that college prep. They told my parents that if I made a D to praise me, and if I had a failed grade that is was expected.

@MaryC Do you know if you had a bleed of your AVM? I know many people are born with their AVMs and then later in life find out they have them. Mine was caused after a CVST stroke which I got brain damage from that stroke but slowly recovered thank goodness.
Angela

Hi Angela,
Thank you responding to my post. No, I did not have a bleed. After I was told that I had a very large AVM. I have compleated 4 cognative tests and they all showed that I had a sever cognive skills. In a bell curve I Scored a range of 8 to 1. Zero score would put out of the bell curve. I didn’t have a clue that I been this SUPID.
My shrinks tells me that I don’t have any cognative thinking, he had me take another cognative test just to tell me that I can’t dive any more. He told me that he was writing to the DMV to make sure that I can’t drive any where in the USA. I have received two tickets when I was a student in College and I was involved in 2 accidents where the cars hit me.

I have been driving since I turned 16,(over 54 years of driving) and now he is telling that I can drive any more due to my

Please help me unstand why I can’t drive more.

I am really sorry you have received such negativity from your doctors and earlier with your teachers. My AVM showed up late in life and I was told I probably have had it since birth. I was given 3 options. I had cyber knife radiation. Surgery is not an option and the radiation didn’t work. Now after almost 20 years they are saying there is nothing that can be done for me. I am 70 and do have mini strokes, but still drive. I just pull over to the side of the road if I start to have an “episode”, call my husband and let him know where I am and will let him know when I am ready to drive again. They usually last between 15 and 30 minutes. I wish you the best and tell all you doctors to try and say something positive instead of being negative all the time.
Sue

1 Like

Sue:
Thank you for your support and leting me to vent.
Pray that I have strength to dig out of this dark hole.

Hi Mary K.:

Your doctor is an a-hole for speaking to you like that! Where is his compassion? You are not stupid. You have an AVM. We all have AVM’s and we are doing our best to deal with it as best we can. I hope you can find a more caring and compassionate doctor that can give you more hope and less negativity. God bless you.

Sharon D…

1 Like

Sharon: Thank you,
I agree my doctor is an a-hole.

1 Like

Do not quote me, though, Mary, but my neurologist that I met in the 1980s told me that I was born w/my AVM. I had no symptoms of this problem until I was 18 years old. When you were in 8th grade, back then, so many medical people probably had little knowledges of AVM, so they might have just guessed a little bit more than they should? What do I know, but I am sorry that that went on w/you. :frowning: BUMMER!

@BoxBarge; Thank you for your support. :woozy_face:

@MaryC I am so sorry that your drs and your shrink removed your driving license. I dont put much weight on those tests I did one and those tests and I still had brain damage and some how I passed but I would get lost going a mile from my house! These drs sound like douche bags to me and instead should be working with you to improve your brain- When I was severely brain damaged after my stroke my therapist suggested https://www.gamesforthebrain.com/ which is free and myself and my husband would do daily. My brain could not even handle watching colored tv and I would watch the old movie channel all day. Drs can be tools esp neuros for some reason - Taking a test one time should not determine something so perm like removing your license. You are not Stupid. Hugs Angela

Just checking in with you to see how things are going. I haven’t had much computer time since I had to temporarily open “Grammie’s Academy” to home school my grand kids during all this sickness. So funny, a 70 year old teaching 1st and 3rd graders lol. They are definitely learning the OLD math. Hope all is well. Sue

1 Like

The new math is beyond my brain capacity, Good luck!!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: