AVF preceded by a hard fall

Two months before the onset of pain and falling, I fell on a tile floor. Obviously, the spinal AVM was already there. I’m wondering if the fall could have caused the fistula. Did anyone else have a fall or other accident prior to the onset of symptoms?

I do believe that Dural AV Fistulas are thought to be acquired these days, rather than congenital and I have a feeling that physical impact is one of the causes of onset. Now, whether you had some predisposition to a fistula and the fall has merely been “the straw that broke (your) back”, I don’t know but it seems likely, doesn’t it? Or you might have had a fistula there but it was very small or not giving you any trouble and the fall has exacerbated it in some way.

However, it’s a good thing to know about it and get it sorted. I was very encouraged by your positive view of the world, in a conversation with Corrine or Logan. It’s great to take some positivity out of our situations. Rather difficult to impossible sometimes but great when it can be done.

1 Like

Mine was caused by pressure in my head from blood clots, that I had a stroke CVST that collapsed a major vein in my head and I recall when my. vein collapsed cause I felt it and it caused stroke like symptoms for about 48 hrs about 3 months later they found the DAVF, At that time the vein was no longer there was it was there prior.
So I guess in theory yes trauma could cause it - I would definitely ask your dr to be sure.
Hugs Angela

Hi Angela,
I do hope that you are well on your way to recovery. I’m asking the membership as doctors have been vague about it.

Hugs back,

Lyla

1 Like