Autistic Children

I have a 5 year old non-verbal severely autistic grandson. Now this child never keeps still…he is always bouncing off the walls! I absolutely love him to death and we are very close. Whenever I have a seizure, I wake up to find him quietly sitting next to me with his hand on my face. Its bizarre. It feels like he knows I need some comfort or something. The other day my husband was in the room when Jordan and I were lying on the beanbag and I started having a seizure. Apparently Jordan turned around and put his legs across me and just lied there with me until I finished. Beautiful boy! I love this child soooo much :slight_smile:

Maria–I switched from teaching general ed. to special education classes 3 years ago, and have worked with a few teenagers with autism. I just wanted to say that I love reading stories like this.

I’m so glad you have that love! This story is also, in my opinion, some great evidence for the “all kinds of minds” philosophy, or the idea that neurological labels fail to capture some really wonderful things about our differently-working brains…

Hey,
That is so beautiful, tears! they just know.

Kia Kaha Taiki

DM

Our kids have a knack for knowing what’s happening. You have a very special grandson.

Very special indeed :slight_smile:

Tina White said:

Our kids have a knack for knowing what’s happening. You have a very special grandson.

I’m amazed because autistic kids are supposed to show no empathy, but my little man sure does :slight_smile:

DM H Sydney said:

Hey,
That is so beautiful, tears! they just know.

Kia Kaha Taiki

DM