Appointment with Dr Yakes next week to start attacking the VM in my left hand

and I am more than nervous. I keep reading about nerve damage due to the alcohol leaking and am starting to think maybe the surgery option isnt so bad. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Discuss your worries with Dr. Yakes. Really understand your scans and know where the abnormal vessels are and where the alcohol will go. Ask what to expect when the VM thromboses. I believe the risk of nerve damage will be less with a VM than with an AVM, but you can ask about that, too.

Good luck John! Anticipation of what might happen might be worse than what will happen. Dont psych yourself out. I had to stop reading posts and other stories so that I wouldnt freak out before my glue emboli/embolisms (sp?) procedure. One thing I didnt anticipate is the time for recovery. I am STILL limping around at almost 6 weeks post op. My VM has started to harden up and shrank a little but I want to see results a little faster and resolve better. But looking at things in a postive light, things have been getting better every day, I just have to be patient. Dont think that the treatment will be easy or quick, just the step in a journey. Best of luck and a stay positive.

Hi Everyone! I have an AVM in my left arm and am also supposed to be seeing Dr. Yakes very soon. I am from Pittsburgh so it will take a little while for me to set up an appointment to get out of there. I have heard good and bad about him, so please give me your perspective on him whenever you get everything settled. I have had three surgeries so far in Pittsburgh and they all have not helped, so Dr. Yakes is my last option. Best of luck to you John and please keep us posted!

Hi Lyknthrp! I came across your comment on the recovery time from an extremity AVM. I am scheduled my first Embo in about 2 and a half weeks and just curious about your experience. How long were you immobile and on crutches? How bad was the post-op pain?

John, an update? How are you these days?

Sorry for the late response. The embolism that Dr. Yakes performed caused a good bit of nerve damage. I have little feeling on the tips of two of my fingers. I had a second embolism which was performed by Dr. Rosen with no nerve damage. Dr. Rosen used a less harsh chemical. In both cases, my VM shrunk in size but has continued to grow. I may have another embolism with Dr. Rosen or just go the surgery route. My biggest fear with the surgery is more nerve damage. Anymore nerve damage and my saxophone playing and firefighting days may be over. Any thoughts?

BTW, Dr. Rosen is great. I would recommend him to anyone.

Hi John,

Sorry to annoy you, but how did treatment work out? Can you still play sax? I am having sclerotherapy treatment in a little under two weeks and I am hoping that I will be able to keep playing afterwards. I spoke to my radiologist and he said that mine (in the palm of my hand) was a fair way away from any nervous and should heal without problems. What have your experiences been? Thank you.

Wow, this is slower than snail-mail. I am 2 yrs late on this reply and wondering how John and Kelly are doing! John, my embolism was with Dr Rosen as well. He was great. Kelly, I hope your recovery went better than mine did. I was on crutches for almost 3 months, limped for an other month after that. Post op pain was managable. I was frustrated with recovery time. I finally did get to participate in that 5K but it was 2 yrs after procedure. My avm is in the ball joint in the middle of my right foot so walking is always a concern anyway. I have been pretty much pain-free since embolisation. It will be 4 years this month and I am just now starting to get shooting pains and warm sensations again. I am not ready to consider another embolism at this stage. I hope you both are doing well!