Appointment with a Neuro-ophthalmologist

NEXT FRIDAY I HAVE MY FIRST APPOINTMENT WITH A NEURO-OPHTHALMOLOGIST: SINCE MY CRANI 4 MONTHS AGO I HAVE LOST SOME OF MY VISION FIELD AND I SOMETIMES HAVE PROBLEMS WITH PROCESSING AND RECOGNIZING: HAS ANYONE OF U EVER BEEN TO A NEURO-OHTHALMOLOGIST AND CAN TELL ME WHAT THEY DO AND WHAT TO EXPECT? THANK U:

Manix,

My daughter has significant visual deficits because of her AVM and subsequent surgeries. Her visits to the neuro ophthalmologist are similar to a regular eye appt. definitely nothing to worry about. Bear in mind that you also may want a developmental optometrist. They have equipment to help you understand what are your deficits. My daughter has lost all peripheral vision.

I hope your appt goes well!!

– Tina

Hi there,
My avm was actually found after my Opthamologist referred me for an mri scan due to visual field loss. The tests were very non-invasive and are similar to standard eye tests, things like pressing a button everytime you saw a light light shine and things such as that. I was told my vision SHOULD restore once my avm has gone, unfortunately since I am not due for radio surgery until march it may be a year or two.. Best of luck :)

Hi, I had AVM craniotomy in 1959, and since that day have had left homonymous hemianopia (condition where both eyes are blind in the same way, and involves field cuts, plus). I was told at the time that it would come back, but that was not the case. I consider it lucky I am still alive 50 years after surgery done in the olden days. I also process slowly and never understand jokes, movies are confusing unless hey are straightforward. When I look at something, I often cannot tell what I am seeing. I sometimes ask someone what they see. Then I see what is real, after being told what it is. It's so hard to explain. But I walk in your shoes, Manux.

You would probably do yourself a favor by also seeing a neuro-optometrist, one who does therapy and who sees lots of little kids for lazy eye, etc. That was where I finally found help. I have not looked where it is you live, but if you need help finding someone, I can give you the name of the most wonderful doctor I ever saw. He is in Delaware, but knows many other doctors who do what he does.

You will be fine. You will struggle, but who doesn't? And you could definitely still have some improvement since it has not even been a year for you yet. Also, know it never gets worse.

beans

Manux, Yes, I was sent to a neuro-ophthalmologist after my bleed. The doctor told me I had vision loss on both the left and right side of my vision due to my brain injury...However, that was 4 years ago and my vision has improved greatly since when I saw him 4 years ago. Stay strong..

Thank u so much..I will see what he tells me on friday--loonking forward and staying strong, love and hugs XXX