Anyone familiar with fibrosis

Hello anyone. I just want to know if anyone knows anything about the following: due to the lack of movement in my weak calf muscle, some suggested that it might be fibrosis(
can it be? if yes: can it be treated anyhow instead of operation?

I’m not sure but welcome to the site.

Artem,

Hi. I saw your post at the weekend and didn’t know the answer. Doing a bit of Googling, I can’t see any reference (in en.Wikipedia, for example) to fibrosis in a calf muscle.

Fibrosis does appear to be a thickening or a scarring of fibrous matter (muscle matter) but why that would happen in your calf, in any way related to an AVM, I don’t know. Obviously, fibrosis in the lung or in the heart is a much more significant matter. I don’t know if it has any significant implications in your calf.

Why do you think you might have fibrosis? In what way is your calf affected either by your AVM or by what you think might be fibrosis? I think you’ve got a brain AVM, if I remember correctly.

Sorry for not answering before. You are often in my thoughts and I know you are often on here, reading a lot, even if you don’t always write.

Very best wishes

Richard

It’s not related to my Avm directly,
it might be somehow connected with lack of normal activity in my calf e.g muscles don’t work normally that is why they have connected with other muscles in a wrong way!
i want to know if it can be

Its usually caused by injury. I’ll have a further read and see if I see anything… but I’ve no knowledge in this space.

1 Like

Artem,

I can say I know nothing about fibrosis. However, I was thinking this evening that If you’ve got excessive rigidity (stiffness) in your calf muscle, that could be a sign of spasticity or rigidity, which can be caused by damage to your cerebral motor cortex.

Then, I looked back at some of your past posts and I can see that you had your bleed in your brainstem and you’ve referred to some spasticity, as well.

I think, I don’t know, that fibrosis is to do with excessive growth of muscle – scarring of the muscle – usually where you’ve had an injury to it and in rebuilding itself, it has over-engineered the join, so it gives a denser area, a less flexible piece of muscle where the damage was. How easy it would be to tell the difference between a rigidity caused by a cerebral palsy (i.e. your AVM or bleed) and a thickening of the muscle due to fibrosis, I don’t know. You’d do well to talk to your doctor about it.

But if it is spasticity caused by cerebral palsy, caused by your bleed or AVM, then there are treatments to relieve muscle stiffness or rigidity. I know a young man, the son of a friend, who has cerebral palsy and has had botox injections to reduce his rigidity in his leg. He also does an amount of physical therapy, i believe, and used a leg or foot brace to help him with his coordination. I don’t know if the same treatment is applicable for adults but it may be worth finding out.

I hope this sounds relevant and I hope it proves useful.

Very best wishes

Richard

1 Like