Anyone do post-grad education?

Hey, I had my AVM in January of 2012, & I finally am back at school, but I’m only taking two classes now &, hopefully, going back full time next year. However, after I graduate next year, I want to go to law school. Has anyone else done any post-grad education?? Jw…thanks!

Not specifically, but depending on your situation and/or deficits, should not be an issue.

Our son had seizures while in college (before surgery corrected it). He went to the Students with Disability office and they bent over backwards to support him. He got tutors for all classes, note takers, extra time on tests, free passes if he had a seizure in class or before taking tests. All FREE.

I'm sure you know, law school is INTENSE. Can you now or soon pull 18 hr days reading, studying, and comprehending? If so, law school should be a snap. It is a tough road, and not one I'd want to tackle if I had impairments that held me back.

Best wishes to you.
Ron, KS

mdiam1,

Like Ron said if cognition, reading, writing, and energy are not issues for you because of this AVM, go for it! But I'm no doctor so ask him or her specifically. After the AVM I received my MBA in business and now I'm working on a second Master's degree. It certainly can be done. Good luck! :J

Hi there! I'm new to the AVM situation (still waiting for a diagnosis) but I've spent a lot of time at universities, including grad school. My thoughts are these:

1. Like Ron, I think you should contact the Students with Disabilities office at the universities you're thinking of applying to, before you get there, to work out what the options are to make this more manageable for you. I've worked as a course lecturer in Canada, and my experience is that with medical notes many things are possible - basically anything you need within reason. They may be able to help you spread out your workload so you can do the program less intensively or at times that work best for you, get help with various aspects of the work, change the format of exams if that helps in any way, have an assistant, get editing and proofing for your work, a notetaker, etc.

2. I've known many people who've gone to law school, as well as other competitive graduate programs, and although it's a lot of work, much stress is self-imposed. Some aspects of the programs are voluntary, and there's a gigantic difference in how hard you need to work and how much stress it is to get a law degree and to finish top 10% or whatever. If you can maintain a sense of perspective and not take on more than you need to, you may not find it as all-consuming as some of the other students.

3. I would look into whether its possible to take a leave of absence every now and then - if you find yourself getting tired, can you take a semester off? Can you go to part-time?

4. The last 2 years of my PhD were difficult because of pain and tiredness and trouble concentrating, which I now realize may have been caused by this spinal AVF. I learned to rest when tired and do difficult work at my most energetic times of day, cut down on non-essential activities, say no to things, slow down, to take time off when I needed it. This helped a bit and I got through it and I'm less stressed than I used to be. Probably you already know this, but I think as time goes on we do learn how to manage our health issues better to get more functional.

Good luck finishing your degree now and starting the law program,

Anna.

Do it! Start with a small load and see how it goes! Follow your dreams and stay on track. If it becomes something you are not happy doing, then reconsider.