Anyone Apply for Disability?

I’m still pretty new to all this and am just starting the process of applying for social security disability. I’m currently on long term disability from an insurance policy I had through my job. The insurance company hired another company, Allsup, to file my social security disability application for me. I’m still not really wanting to accept that my condition might be permanent enough for Social security but the reality is that between the pain, pain meds, etc I have maybe 2-4 hours where I can function reasonably well in a day if I’m lucky, and I have to fit dr appts, chores, taking care of my pets, trying to work 10 hours each month to maintain my health insurance, and interacting with colleagues, friends, and family. Also dealing with memory loss, stress induced diabetes from the AVM pain, major dental issues b/c of drug side effects, and occasional bouts of paralysis on my right side when the AVM steals too much blood from my motor cortex. So the reality is that it’s probably a good thing that the insurance company is applying for me. Not that they are doing this out of the goodness of their heart - subrogation being what it is, if I get social security then they don’t have to pay me as much every month.

If you want their contact details I’d be happy to supply them, or I’m sure they are Google-able.

Hi Vicki,
The sooner you file the better, as it usually takes awhile. Because of all the legalese, I’d strongly encourage you to contact http://www.allsup.com/apply/social-security-disability.aspx?SessionCode=1020&Keyword=allsup%20inc&MATCHTYPE=search&gclid=CLjYprbe66MCFRpZiAodqm7C2g, be determined and DON’T give up!

Best wishes,
Patti

Vicki,

I did receive state disability for 1 year. I had surgery in August 2009. My state disability just finished. I am in the process of applying for social security disability. It is a long drawn out process. I started the process online in June. It can take 4 - 5 months to get a decision.

Hi Vicki,
If you are a patient at a hospital, there should be a social worker that can help you apply for disability. She will have access to your medical chart, diagnosis and doctors and will be able to make a case for your disability. The social workers t the hospital applied for me when I was an inpatient and was about to be discharged. Also, even if you are receiving disability, you can continue to work, but can’t make over a certain amount every month. The amount is different in every state. In NY where I live, I can work and make up to $980 a month and still get disability. I hope this information helps you. Good luck

I think this is an individuial decision. But for what it’s worth, I applied and received disability a year ago and it’s been a God send. I can still work up to 20 hours per week without losing it, so that way I can start back according to my body. I haven’t started back yet, but when I can It will be slow so that way I don’t overtire too much. Goodluck!

Hi,
I applied for Disability AND social security and was rejected twice. Then my family hired a lawyer specializing in disability. Most of them don’t charge unless they win. My lawyer got a hefty percentage of my first few months back payments, but I thought he was worth it. He got more results in 2 months than I got in 2 years of trying on my own. Someone told me that the system just works that way. My opinion: I bet it was lawyers who made it that way. Oh well. We found him by asking around. Friends who knew friends, etc, gave a good recommendation for my lawyer, saying he was honest and reasonably priced . Then I recommended him to others. It was the same kind of word-of-mouth recommendations regarding my doctor. One warning: I was told that the one year of social security payments I received would be deducted when I turn 65. In other words, I am now unable to qualify for social security until I turn 66. But I took those payments anyway because who knows if I will live that long or even if there will be any money left in the SS system by the time I reach that age. I wish you the best of luck!

it has been a year since my avm ruptured and this month is 1st time i have got a disability check