Any ideas what this is?

My daughter has recently been diagnosed with an avm in her splenium. Nearly 1 year ago she started having difficulty weight bearing in the morning when she woke up. It got later and later in the day that she was able to walk and eventually she couldn’t walk at all until my daughter realised that she could walk after putting a tens machine on her legs for 20 minutes. If she has a bad nights sleep with regularly waking up then she can walk ok. No doctors seem to know why and the neurologist doesn’t think the difficulty walking is related to her avm. My daughter does get weak fingers, probably due to the avm and is also being investigated for probable ehlers-danlos. She also has scoliosis. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Kirsty,

Your daughter is the only person I know (apart from @Angela4) with Ehlers Danlos. Having pushed me into reading about Ehlers Danlos when reading your previous post, I found that scoliosis is linked to one of the forms of EDS, so those two are probably linked.

As to anything about what the splenium does / how it would be part of the symptoms you describe, I have no idea.

Hope the EDS-scoliosis link is useful, though.

Very best wishes

Richard

Thanks Richard. As far as I can see the splenium allows the 2 hemispheres to communicate. I would have thought that the difficulty in weight bearing would be something to do with the brain so probably the avm so I was surprised the neurologist didn’t think it was that. I have cime across a subtype of eds that we could have, spondylodysplastic. I hope I don’t have to wait too long for the results of the genetics test. They could determine the outcome of the neurovascular meeting.

I did more Googling before replying above and my reading of it is that the corpus callosum definitely knits left brain and right brain together, though I got the impression that the splenium itself deals with vision.

However, just because her AVM is in her splenium doesn’t mean that’s what it affects. I guess it could be reducing blood to the CC and therefore having an effect on the CC more generally than on the splenium itself. My AVM was inside the back of my head but I could hear it in each ear.

1 Like

I have read about tinnitus relating to avm. I couldn’t figure out if that was a sign of a rupture or not as different sites came across differently

1 Like

Pulsatile tinnitus can definitely be associated with AVMs but not, I think, a rupture. In my case, the pulsatile tinnitus was the sound either of the arterial flow blood rushing into my transverse sinus and disturbing the otherwise sedate flow of blood back from head to heart and being audible because the sigmoid sinus (which is the name for the next stretch of major vein after the transverse sinus) passes by the eardrum, or close enough for the sound to be heard. Or, it was the disruption of the arterial flow trying to squeeze past my thrombus or diminution of my right TVS.

I had normal tinnitus pre AVM for about 20 years and I’ve got more normal tinnitus post op.

1 Like