Anxiety kicking in

My 2nd embolization is in three days, and my nervousness/anxiety is starting to kick in. For the longest time I wasn’t worried at all since I’ve had the surgery before so I know what to expect. Now that I’m not in pediatrics anymore things seem less sugared down by all the nurses/doctors who are helping me. It’s seems they are taking a lot more precautions for this surgery than they did for my last one. Of course, I’m sure this is protocol now that I am officially considered an adult. Today I found myself unable to concentrate on anything…I need to keep myself completely distracted or else I start to get very jittery.

Before my first embolization I had a few anxiety attacks, and I'm hoping I don't experience those this time around. Has anyone else experienced these attacks, and have found a way to calm their nerves before a procedure?

HI, BECKY , FIRST LET ME SAY THIS I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU ON TUES. NOW FOR YOUR ANXIETY ATTACKS READ THIS IN YOUR BIBLE MATTHEW 6:25-34 THIS WILL HELP WITH YOUR ANXIETY. STAY PRAYFUL AND THIS WILL HELP YOU WITH YOU NEXT EMBO. PRAY DOES WORK JUST LOOK AT ME.

HI BECKY I WAS READING YOUR POST, SO AT FIRST THEY WERE JUST GOING TO DO THE EMBO. AND NOT DO THE SURGERY AT ALL? MY AVM IS OR WAS 5.3 CM AND 3. SOMETHING WIDE VERY LARGE FOR WHERE IT IS, AND SURGERY WAS THE ONLY THING THAT COULD BE DONE TO MAKE SURE IT WAS ALL GONE. SO U TAKE CARE AND READ WHAT I SENT U AND PRAY IT WILL BE OK, LET ME KNOW HOW U ARE WHEN U GET BACK HOME OK

Hey Becky. The anxiety is normal and totally understandable. One of my “easy” fixes is to spend your time and energy on something else so that you just don’t dwell on the upcoming scaryness. I recommend shoe shopping. It always makes me happy!!!
If all else fails, ask your primary care doc to give you a script for a few days worth of anxiety meds. Totally not a big deal and I’m sure you’d have no prob getting them. Try the shoe shopping first though! :wink:

Hi Becky. I like Shalon’s advice. And I also think a very low dose of something like Valium would go a long way to helping you relax. It is normal to have anxiety, but if it’s to the point of distraction and discomfort, then tell your doctor! I hope your second embo goes really, really smoothly. I will be thinking of you. I’ll be talking to my doc about my treatment this coming Friday. I am still untreated. Good luck and peace, calmness, serenity to you.