Anti-Angiogenesis - Stopping the growth of new blood vessels

Here is a link to research that Dr Li has done with cancer fighting foods that help inhibit new blood vessels from growing, primarily feeding tumors. I am hoping this is also effective on vascular malformations. It is worth trying since most of the foods we all probably like to eat anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_5Z31mUmtc

The link includes a list of food that have the properties.

I was curious if anyone has heard of this and tried changing to eating more of the foods listed. Have you seen any difference in the growth of any new vessels related to your avm after a period of time?

Anyone using anti-angigenesis medication and/or topical cream? What is it, how long have you used and has it helped prevent or slowed new growth?

Hi, twinbc, I came across some articles today about thalidomide as an anti-angiogenic drug: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21784047, for example. Thalidomide caused some nasty birth defects a half century ago; lenalidomide is a reformulated version that has the same efficacy but with fewer side effects.

Dr. Suen is doing a trial with doxycycline, but doxycycline is known to raise the risk of inflammatory bowel disease.

I have been on Thalidomide for the treatment of gastric and duodenal AVMs. It certainly does prevent angiogenesis as I was transfusion dependent, prior to the start of the thalidomide and haven't had to have blood in almost 3 years. I had gotten 40 units of blood, approximately 2 units a month before I started the thalidomide, and while taking it, the daily bleeding has stopped, no further blood transfusions, and my hemoglobin and hematocrit are NORMAL, NO ANEMIA, and I can live now without the fear of dying. Although, thalidomide is not without risks, expense, and there are tremendous barriers to have access to this life-saving drug.

1 Like

I hope the anti-angiogenesis foods/drinks are working for you! Now if I can get them in my picky 3 year old. I have to "hide" some things in smoothies and sauces for him.

Valerie, that is wonderful news. Sounds like a hopeful drug for when my little guy is older. Thanks for sharing your information!