Angiodyplasia -- A Cause of GI AVMs

http://medicine.med.nyu.edu/gastro/conditions-we-treat/conditions/angiodysplasia-colon

Definition
Angiodysplasia of the colon occurs when enlarged and fragile blood vessels in the colon result in occasional bleeding in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.

Causes
Angiodysplasia of the colon can be caused by:

Increased age
Colon spasms that enlarge blood vessels in the area
Risk Factors
Factors that increase your risk of angiodysplasia of the colon include:

Injury to the GI tract
Heart problems
Kidney problems
Lung problems
von Willebrand's disease—a disorder of the blood
Blood vessel problems
Normal contractions of the colon
Symptoms
Symptoms of angiodysplasia of the colon may include:

Bleeding from the rectum
Anemia
Weakness
Fatigue
Shortness of breath
Dark, tarry stools
Diagnosis
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done.

Your bodily fluids and waste may be tested. This can be done with:

Blood tests
Stool tests
Your internal structures may need to be viewed. This can be done with:

Colonoscopy
Upper endoscopy (EGD)
Radiology testing with CT scan
Angiography
Treatment
Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment may not be necessary, since about 90% of cases of angiodysplasia of the colon stop bleeding on their own. Treatment options include the following:

Colonoscopy
Your doctor can often burn tissues with heat to seal bleeding blood vessels during a colonoscopy.

Angiography
The blood supply to the bleeding area can be clotted through angiography.

Medical Therapy
Hormonal therapy with estrogen can be helpful for some causes.

Surgery
Surgery to remove the affected area of the colon may sometimes be necessary.

Prevention
There is no known way to prevent angiodysplasia of the colon.

- See more at: http://medicine.med.nyu.edu/gastro/conditions-we-treat/conditions/angiodysplasia-colon#sthash.KLPUgyKI.dpuf

Hi gang,
Just got out of the Hospital after EGD failed to stop bleeding upper GI AVM. I am one of those who suffer from acquired von Willebrands disease Factor VIII antibodies and mucosal tissue weakness. I just went through IVIG therapy and got the bleeding under control as apparently the FVIII inhibitors got knocked back. Until we get my vWD under control, surgery is not an option and the GI people are averse to treating me for bleeds from AVMs.

If you have lots of bleeding episodes and think you might have slow coagulation, look at your Pt and PTT times on your blood tests. You might want to be tested for vWD or kindred coagulation issues that don't help a minor bleed from self-healing.

Good luck to all.

John the elder

How are you doing now? I have been checking out all the things you posted and will be asking my doctor when I see her in Sept. Wish my appointment was closer, but I will gather more info in the process. Tell us how you are doing Johntheelder.