An update

My boyfriend (22) had an AVM rupture on his thalamus. I found out I was pregnant while he was in a coma (he was in a coma for a month). He has since had surgery to completely remove the AVM and damaged area (he had sponges to replace the empty areas) in July. Now, we’ve had our daughter on Decemer 23 and he’s still in rehab unable to care for himself. He’s doing better (he can now move his legs and is very with it), but I feel like I’ve lost him forever. I just hope he gets back to at least a little normal… I’m very sad and feel very alone.

Congratulations on your baby girl! <3 I'm so sorry you & your boyfriend are going through such a devastating time w/ many uncertainties.
The thalamus is an extra eloquent location to have a bleed & surgery.
Neuro rehab is essential & will help him regain his strength & adjust to any deficits he may have.
My 4th surgery was in the thalamus, so I can relate. :)
Please don't give up & remember the brain is a very slow healer.
In the meantime, take good care of yourself & your baby.
Consider a support group locally or here @ http://www.avmsurvivors.org/group/friends-and-family-of-avm & http://www.avmsurvivors.org/group/avmcaregivers as others going through similar issues can help you cope.
Best wishes.

Hello ashtinshayne, and congrats on the birth of your daughter although I'm sure that this time is very stressful for you. Yes, recovery from a brain injury such as your boyfriend's can be frustratingly slow to him and his loved ones. For his sake and your daughter's please take care of yourself. I hope you are taking lots of pictures for babies change so rapidly. My children are now 24 and 22 but the early years were so amazing and we tried to take pictures and videos. You and yours will be in my prayers.

Hi, austinshayne - Thank you so much for the update and I'm glad your baby girl arrived safely. The way you feel is understandable - these were not the circumstances you (or anyone) anticipated for welcoming your firstborn. But she arrived safely and that is great. As you said, your bf is "with it" - so that's good, and moving your legs is a great starting point. Your baby is barely a month old - surely this is a HUGE transition, plus you're dealing with major medical drama simultaneously. Thanks again for checking in and letting us know how you are. HUGS to you & yours, atnt.