"after the surgery"

After I’d learned I was intubated, I think I was told “that is to help you breathe”. A concept I didn’t understand. I was in and out (Demerol drip). I had no memory loss. In the ICU, I remember watching movies that I liked, such as Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger. I don’t know why those movies spoke out to me, maybe it’s because I always wanted to be in the Intel field. Yes, I remember waking up at two or three in the morning and requesting the movies- without saying a word. I couldn’t talk yet. I do remember my mom telling to use more of my right side, it felt numb. My brothers were telling about new computers that had just been out, since I was always on the computer and I have a pretty good knowledge about them- I say they were getting a sense of whether or not I “lost” anything.
Dr. Han Han (for real, that’s his name) always woke me up very early. He would ask me to move my arms and legs, right side was always shaky and fatigued. Then using his little hammer, he would scrape my feet to measure my reaction and sense of touch/feel. From the first time he did it, I almost kicked him with my left leg- didn’t like it. If I could punch him, I would have (then, not now).

I believe after two or three days they wanted to see if I could breathe on my own. They left the tube in. I can remember Dr. Han Han “Regis BREEEAAATTTHHEEE, REGIS BREAAATHHE…” BTW, do you know how F%CK!NG HARD IT IS TO TAKE ONE BREATH- AND KEEP BREATHING, on and on and on? I got tired- to say the least, I didn’t take a breath for 40 seconds (that’s what SOMEONE SAID), but the machine picked up for me. It was exhausting!! The tube was taken out about a day or two later. I remember coughing like I’ve never coughed before AND MY HEAD- IT FELT LIKE IT WAS GOING TO EXPLODE! Since I had soft tissue in my head- IT HURT LIKE HELL. I remember touching my head, it was softer than jello. I was curious- and my mom, every time I went to touch my head, she had this PANIC LOOK, it’s funny (not at the time and not if you were my mom), haha!

I was moved from the ICU to a “normal” room, which I spent 3 days in. The decision was made to place me on inpatient rehab. As supposed to outpatient- the difference, $1k a day hospital room but better medical and rehab care. They were very understanding, for they never had a 17 year patient before. I was seen different. While it wasn’t bad to be me- I mean, I got to do whatever I wanted; but it was frustrating at times. The times were I woke up and could not talk to anyone, I couldn’t- my speech came at a later date. The good times: I got to go out on weekends and after 6 on weekdays, seeing my friends (not to exclude: two gorgeous blondes that came together…hmmm, you know who you are ;P).

I’m enjoying reading your funny commentaries…like that last one about the blondes! lol