After crainiotomy did they leave skull out for a week

after my wife had her crainiotomy,they keep her skull in freezer for 7 days before putting back in, anybody else experience this
thanks
chip

nope.

Chari’s was put back as the last step in the surgeries.

Ron, KS

this procedure is done with some not all crainatonomies…it is to allow the brain to swell and reduce in swelling again…as you can imagine the brain is a very sensitive organ and the slightest interuptions to it will cause swelling…by leaving the skull off…the doctors are ensuring your wifes brain has enough room to swell without causing futher damage to the precious organ…hope this info helps

thanks alicia, that is what they said, also when they did the angio after the surgery they could go back in as needed, it has been 1 year 11/17/2008 when done, thanks for the reassurement
chip

Alicia said:

this procedure is done with some not all crainatonomies…it is to allow the brain to swell and reduce in swelling again…as you can imagine the brain is a very sensitive organ and the slightest interuptions to it will cause swelling…by leaving the skull off…the doctors are ensuring your wifes brain has enough room to swell without causing futher damage to the precious organ…hope this info helps

your very welcome chip , glad i could help …hows your wife doing now?..hope all is going well for you both

she is doing fine,surgery messed with periphial vision, can not drive, thats a bummer for her, goes back next month for 1 year angio,actually she had fibromynolgia.cfids,ebv etc before the avm, when people and drs tell her she is doing great, she always says but i cant drive, always tell her too look around it could be alot worse
thanks
chip

Alicia said:

your very welcome chip , glad i could help …hows your wife doing now?..hope all is going well for you both