ADD and Left Temporal AVM connection?

Ok, I’m reading about Left Temporal use and effects from damage.

Qouted from: http://www.neuroskills.com/tbi/btemporl.shtml

"The temporal lobes are involved in the primary organization of sensory input (Read, 1981). Individuals with temporal lobes lesions have difficulty placing words or pictures into categories.

Language can be effected by temporal lobe damage. Left temporal lesions disturb recognition of words. Right temporal damage can cause a loss of inhibition of talking.

The temporal lobes are highly associated with memory skills. Left temporal lesions result in impaired memory for verbal material. Right side lesions result in recall of non-verbal material, such as music and drawings."

My question is this…I was diagnosed with having ADD. Could it actually be a misdiagnosis and REALLY be a effect of the AVM in the Left Temporal Tip?

That would definitely make sense. I have gotten my trouble my entire life for being very impulsive. My AVM bled a few months ago and it was in the right frontal lobe which was in charge of impulse control. Wherever the AVM is - that part of the brain is not getting proper blood flow/oxygen and therefore can’t work to its fullest

I agree. I think it is entirely possible that it was a misdiagnosis and is more related to AVM than anything. My AVM was deep in my left temporal lobe. I had always been quite advanced with my verbal skills all the way through school. While in college, I was the frontman of a rock band. I was able to remember the lyrics to several dozen songs, many of which I had written myself. But as my AVM progressed, my ability to remember lyrics, names, or even words that I use a dozen times a day started diminishing.

Following my craniotomy back in 2005, aside from a partial loss of vision, language skills and short-term memory took the biggest hit. I could not remember the names of my co-workers, I’d call my wife by my ex-girlfriend’s name, I’d replace words in sentances without even noticing what I was doing, and I was having a very difficult time figuring out how to use a television remote control.

In the process of going through various types of therapy to try to strengthen my cognitive skills, I discovered that several functions that rely on the right temporal lobe had become strengthend. For example, I have played guitar for quite some time. While I have by no means been a “pro,” I have always been a decent player. Following my surgery, my skills actually improved, and this is without any extra effort. I mentioned this to a psychitrist that I seeing for a short while following my surgery and asked him if this is a real thing or if it was just a figment of my imagination. He stated that it is not at all unheard of and his explanation had to do with the fact that AVMs are usually something that develops in the brain either prior to, or shortly following birth. As a result, the brain starts “re-wiring” itself from the beginning, and functions that would have traditionally been handled in a certain part of the brain, get picked-up my a differet part. In the case of the left temporal lobe, if it is damaged, the right temporal lobe may try to compensate. However, if the left temporal lobe is still trying to perform the functions, then the abilities of the right temporal lobe may be overlooked. When the damaged area of the left temporal lobe is semoved surgically, in most cases, even more surrounding area is damaged. In this case, the right temporal lobe may finally have enough strength to “overpower” the damaged area of the left side and finally start “showing it’s stuff.”

The psychiatrist was also saying that when part of the brain compensates for a damaged area, it is not necessarily going to compensate by doing exactly what the damaged area used to do. In my case, remembering names and various types of details became more difficult. On the other hand, my creativity with writing music and ability to play improved.

Nico was originally diagnosed with ADD and later we discovered that it was in fact the AVM. Children who struggle with speech and language issues are often misdiagnosed with other disorders such as ADD or ADHD.

I have to agree with Jake M. Although I went to college before all this AVM stuff, I never was good at all that fancy talk. Luckily, there was a doctor who knew how to communicate with a cartoon mechanic (Cartoon mechanic is the dumb car mechanic from the movies. My mechanic is actually very smart and a better talker than me, which is why he fixes those car problems with one visit.) Anyway, he realized I was not understanding left temporal and frontal lobe talk.

His explanation was more like “most AVM’s begin at birth. They cause problems screwing up the wires that begin with some sparks, power surges, and a few short circuits. Then, the big problem causes a blackout on the whole city block (that is my brain). There are fallen electrical lines and blown transformers causing fires and burning up buildings. Eventually, the power company fixes most of the wires. But, the scars from the fires are still there. This was the AVM.”

I thought he was done, but he was just starting to get going “Now, all these problems in the beginning with sparks, power surges, and short circuits can screw up some computers. This is the beginning of ADD type symptoms. After the big power blackout, there are more ADD symptoms. This is not the normal way to create ADD, but the final result is the same. Once you’ve got it, it don’t go away. Learn to live with it.”

That’s about as good as I remember his talk. Ask me tomorrow and I’ll remember it a little differently or not at all.