A Survivor is helped by his furry friends

We had two dogs when I suffered my AVM, and cerebral bleed. I fed them, and they
guarded me. Then my AVM struck me down to be in an unconscious state. I was at home alone
with my dogs, and they could not call me medical help. Then I am told our oldest child entered the
house and found me on the floor. She was about 20 years old, and she called me an ambulance right away. When my wife got home soon after there were two ambulances there for some reason,
and I was being carted off to a hospital. It would be a couple months before I returned.

When I got home weeks later I only got to the entrance of the house helped by two relatives.
My dogs were allowed to come out to see me also, and the largest one gravely sniffed at all
of my hospital wounds, and then sat down as if to say that I was a real mess, but they would do
their best to bring me back! The smaller one just licked my hand.

The next day I got my cane, and that was so important to me. I got to take a nap that day,
and my largest dog guarded me in the bed room. It would not let daughter take it on a walk,
because it had to guard me. I slowly began to feed them again when I was able, and take them
out side.

Today 19 years later my two dogs are long gone, but I have two newer dogs who I still feed, and care for, and I know that if I ever have to leave them for the hospital, that they will wait until I return
to try to bring me back like two other dogs did so long ago. Thanks to them!

6 Likes

Hi John

Beautiful story and dogs are fantastic.
I can’t live without dogs so I spend quite a lot of time with rescue dogs whilst I’m travelling.
Are you based in UK?

Timb,

No, I live in the eastern US, but my people came from the UK ages ago.
Do you have a dog? Mine make sure that I rise early in the morning, and
remember to feed them at meal time!

Best to you, and all survivors here.

John