4 months post Craniotomy

I'm feeling pretty good. The muscles that were cut through during the surgery are still really sore. The pressure is still there, with no headaches unless I increase my blood pressure. I made the mistake of trying to do some crunches and leg lifts a couple of weeks back. I felt pretty ok doing them, but after I stood up and took a couple of steps...I vomitted, hooray.

My memory is shot to hell. I forget things very easily, my recall is terrible. I've been watching the same tv show every Sunday for about 7 episodes and couldn't tell you the characters names. I have a difficult time with face recognition. If I have met you after the surgery, it's a good possibility I won't remember your face unless I see you many times. This has become most frustrating where my patients are involved. I worry that I make patients feel bad when I can't remember who they are. In the next couple of weeks I'll be going for cognitive ability tests.

So, if anyone new to the site/condition or is still recovering, reads this...Don't be discouraged or lose hope. Put one foot in front of the other and keep going forward.

Hang in there Jaime, I'll be praying for you!

Your fellow survivor,

Rob

Hi Jaime. Everything takes time. You know you’re on my prayer list!!!

HI JAMIE SO GOOD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOIN WELL, I CAN SAY THIS ALL OF US RECOVER AT DIFFERENT LEVELS DONT BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF YOU ARE DOIN GREAT TAKE THE TEST AND THEY DO HAVE SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP YOUR CONGNITIVE ABLITY RETURN TO A LEVEL THAT YOU LIKE. I DIDNT LIKE MUSIC LOW THAT SOON AFTER MY CRANIOTOMY BUT NOW I CAN LISTERN TO TO AND ENJOY IT I STILL DONT WANT IT LOUD ANYMORE BUT THAT’S OK. I LOST SOME VISION ON MY LEFT SIDE BUT THAT’S OK AS WELL I RUN INTO THINGS AND PEOPLE BUT WHEN I DO I LAUGH AND SO OH I 4GOT I CANT SEE ON THAT SIDE. I AM VERY CAREFUL MORE CAREFUL THAT I USE TO BE WHEN I DRIVE. SOMETHIMES I THINK MAN HOW CARELESS I USE TO BE WHEN I DROVE AND HOW CARELESS OTHERS ARE WHEN THEY DRIVE. BUT I THANK GOD I AM ALIVE AND DOIN WELL SO KEEP THE FAITH KEEP YOUR HEAD UP IT WILL GET BETTER, REMEMBER TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF IT IS EARLY IN YOUR RECOVERY BE BLESSED

Jaime, it's good to hear you are doing pretty well. I can tell you, it does get better, but you know that, I suspect. It took a long time for my memory to improve, but it did. It's still nowhere near where it was but it's better. I'm glad you're not getting discouraged. You'll get there!

Just hang in there, really it’s a sloooow process of recovery. I thought I was good to go at 4 months, but then I started getting these silent migraines and now they are tapering off finally after like 9 months post craniotomy. And now I’m really starting to feel “normal” (whatever normal is these days!!). Good luck to you!!