3 year old nephew has AVM, I have some questions

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. I had a baby boy last year so I’ve been busy. My sister called me this morning to tell me my nephew, who was diagnosed with AVM at 3 months and underwent surgery at 12 months, has juvenile diabetes. She was asking me if AVM can cause juvenile diabetes and I have no idea. Her doctor was out of town for the week and I was wondering if anybody knew?

I saw on your profile that your nephew’s AVM is “on top of his head”. It’s hard to say for sure without knowing more specifics, but unless the AVM was somehow interfering with the pituitary gland, which is at the lower part of the brain and deep within the head, and is, in turn, throwing off the pancreas, it doesn;t sound likely. Granted, I am not a doctor and the body (especially the brain) does a lot of very unexpected things, I can’t see the AVM being the direct cause of juvenile diabetes. I can, however, see how it could be triggered by certain medications if he is on any to help treat his AVM. For example, I was suffering from diabetic symptoms as a result of IV Dilantin while I was in the hopsital for a week. I needed regular blood sugar tests and insulin injections until I was taken off if the medication.