3.5 years and still learning to dance in the rain

You can’t sit around and wait for the storm to be over. You’ve got to learn how to dance in the rain.

I think that I’ve accepted the fact that things will never return to how they were before craini, but I’m still learning how to dance in the rain.

How did you learn to dance in the rain?

Julie,...

I went through the 6 stages of trauma dealing with my AVM bleed in July/August 2008.

1st Stage,..Shock

2nd Stage,..Denial

3rd Stage,..Anger

4th Stage,..Bargaining

5th Stage,..Grieving

6th Stage,..Acceptance

It was when I was in the 6th stage of acceptance that I realized I would not be able to do all the things I used to do. Therefore I modified my life, (being a past professional Ballroom Dancer, and suffering from LT and ST memory losses), I somewhat refused to give up my dancing and so,..I guess it was always there, I just forgot about my dance skills and abilities.
I try to experience with new things, activities, and basically I do not give myself limits.

So Julie,..to answer your question,...I am still learning to "Dance In The Rain",....

Fox Trot anyone,..??

*wink*

Your friend,...

William

With my children! My children dance in the rain with me. They help me remember why it was so important for me to not only survive, but still be able to take care of them. I think I did all of the stages like William, except perhaps denial and anger. I never really experienced those. I focus on the really important things in life and dancing with your chldren is one of them!

Julie, I always loved dancing. Now, I have lost my ability to dance "properaly", howver, I was going to the bus stop yesterday & it was pouring with rain. I felt very happy as "something" was happening within my situation as last, so I just danced a little "jig" down the street & didn't care at all what anyone thought of me...so I have started to learn to "dance in the rain"! Bye the way, it felt....fantastic!!

Hey all - I was a ballroom dancing instructor when this all went down (William - weird) - but everday, I seem to learn a new "twirl" to do in the rain.

I have to say that I'm very surprised anyone commented on this blog - but I'm overwhelmingly glad that you did - Thanks!

Hi Julie. I'm still trying to learn to dance in the rain, too. I think that I finally accepted that I am not going to return to the way I was before GammaKnife, yet I still have something to offer (and I am still trying to figure out what that is!). Doing volunteer work has helped me to realize that.

Hi Will - I used to be a Ballroom dancer, too! I'd love to Foxtrox - maybe we dance a little jitterbug aferwards? :-)

Dear Julie.
I can not say enough, how I admire you who have been through brain hemorrhage due to AVM .. When I look at our son, Thomas Jr.., whata brave and great courage he has! We've probably read everything that exists about the AVM on internet, in fact almost nothing in Norwegian ... And we see that the recovery takes longer in adults than in children. I admire you, and have a whole new philosophy of life after this. Life is fragile, and we must make the best out of it while we can. Soon you dance in the rain again! :-)
With the best wishes from the fam. Ternowitz