2weeks post craniotomy

Hi to everyone
I had my SM1 right temporal lobe AVM removed through craniotomy on September 7, 2018. As I was operated on hybrid operating room, an angiogram was performed on the spot after resection and it showed a complete obliteration of the AVM. I will need to perform an MRI and an angiogram 6 months down the road so that the “file is closed” as per standard protocols. The post surgery recovery to date is smooth, much better that what I had expected. No headaches, no nausea, no diziness, no fever, no seizures. Just some numbness on the right part of the head where I was operated and some itchiness on the scar. Both very tolerable. I will be taking Keppra as a precautionary medication to prevent seizures (never had anyway) for 6 months. I walk daily, I read books, I watch tv, I properly socialize with friends and family and I go out for a coffee or a lunch. I am on leave of absence from my work for 4 weeks as I need to properly recover without stress. Cross fingers recovery will continue as as smooth as what I have experienced to date. I wanted to share my positive experience for all the friends in this network so that they can also think positively for the various milestones they have in front of them.

5 Likes

Lazaros,

It sounds like you’re doing fantastically! Well done and I hope you keep getting better at the same rate!

How were you the few days after the op? How did you improve, or have you really had a remarkably straightforward operation?

Very best wishes!

Richard

Hi Richard.
Thanks for your wishes. Coming to your question about the very first few days post surgery: I stayed in the hospital for three days (one day in the intensive care unit). I was on medication (antibiotics, depon, keppra) and a free diet. I walked they day I got out of intensive care unit for a few minutes every day. I had no major symptom (pain, nausea, etc), but some constipation which was rectified on the third day. Back at home, I refrained from reading emails all the time and talking on the mobile. Had colleagues coming at home and giving a download where needed. I increase walking time gradually, I lift no weights, I do some yoga and meditation and I pay attention to my diet also taking some food supplements. I appreciate that every situation is different so outcome depends on many factors. One critical element is the selection of an experienced vascular neurosurgeon who has experience in AVMs and aneurysms as well as the selection of a hospital which has the proper technology for such a delicate operation (like hybrid operating rooms). Hope that helps. L

I think you’ve done fantastically well! Keep it up!

Very best wishes,

Richard

Great to hear! Take Care, John.

Thanks to both.
L

Great to hear

:pray::pray: thanks a lot melissa. Wish you the best

Hi Lazaros, This is great news and keep up the positive vibes on your journey to recovery… God bless!

Thanks Adrian. Much appreciated. Best. L

1 Like

Lazaros:

Your wonderful news has made my day! Full recovery is what we all pray for. You have been truly blessed.

1 Like

Thanks Sharon. I am reluctant to call it “full recovery” yet. Though I am quite satisfied with the progress so far. Best. L

Fantastic glad everything went so well.

:pray::pray: Thanks a lot

That is wonderful to read! Wishing you good continuation of your recovery.

Amazing news!!! I am choosing crainy or cyber knife by the end of the week. So happy to see such a positive outcome! Congrats you are so blessed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sometimes these decisions are tough calls to make, however it’s always better to have options than not. Thanks for the wishes and good luck.
L

Sounds like you are pushing FORWARD, positively, & I applause you for that! I feel it is the best way to heal!!

Indeed. Your story is also a testament of what determination can do to get things fixed. Best. L

1 Like

TOAST to US! :wine_glass::cocktail::tropical_drink::beer: