10 months after AVM removal, Thoughts?

I haven’t posted in here in a while. My mom had a AVM removal April 29,2021. She was in Neuro ICU for 75 days and headed to Rehab at Madonna in Nebraska. They did her awful. I found a hole in her feeding tube- she wasn’t getting her seizure medication and luckily I am a nurse and caught her seizure. She was rushed to a rural hospital and seized for over an hour. That was her downfall. I thought she was going to come home. Well 10 months later she is still in a skilled facility but the last month has made “improvement”? She has been talking more and making more sense, it’s weird. I am trying to be realistic but can this happen? They said it could take years for her brain to be back to normal. Is this just false hope? I am really at a loss. Even if she is 50% back to normal I would take that. I just don’t know what to think and no one can give me answers, we are all puzzled.

Any honest thoughts would be appreciated, as well as prayers. Thank you

@Avmdaughter

Thank you for sharing your mum’s story. I’m sorry she is so unwell, and I remember you saying some time ago that she was not making the progress you’d want.

The one thought I’ve got to offer you is a film that was shown on BBC a few years ago about Richard Gray, a former soldier, who had a stroke and his recovery from it. There is a recording of it available here: My Amazing Brain

I don’t know how long Richard’s first stage of recovery took but overall, the film shows his recovery over 3 or 4 years. And my reading of the film is that in his case, it was his cranioplasty that led to him starting to recover.

I hope this might be a useful film to show you a real example of how long it takes but also how much better Richard is by the end.

*It is difficult to watch but I hope useful, helpful.

Sending you both lots of love,

Richard

1 Like

Sad & sorry to hear

After what happened to me, I am firm believer in anything is possible.

Do the best you can & help her out, try to be there - sounds like you did well so far

The lord works in mysterious ways, and you’re a nurse - go figure.

Wish you both the best! - and GL to us all