10 days after Craniotomy for Unruptured AVM

I wanted to update you all on how I’m doing. Ten days have passed since my craniotomy for an unruptured AVM. My neurosurgeon finished the operation before me early, and he was keen to get me in early. I was probably in pre-admissions for about 10 mins with a dozen people doing things to me getting me prepared. Once in the operating theatre, I was literally awake for about 120 seconds. I had prepared myself to not worry about what the neurosurgeon was going to do, I was in his hands and I had to trust him. (What happens in the operating room stays in the operating room). The first two days I was so medicated and vile and drifting in and out of consciousnesses and then on the third day I woke up, ate some food and was glad to be alive.
They were supposed to do the cerebral angiogram straight after the craniotomy, but something happened and they ended up doing it the following afternoon. After the angiogram they said they obliterated it. I was released from the hospital after 5 nights. The nurses got me off of narcotics within the first 2-3 days. The nurses were amazing and my neurosurgeon came to visit me every day. I finished the steroids to stop the brain swelling two days ago and since then I’ve ached all over. I’m now just taking Tynelol. My stitches are coming out on Day 13.

The operation was on my left frontal lobe, the language area of my brain. When I woke up, I could not communicate properly for several days. I could read perfectly, listen to an audiobook but I couldn’t find all of the right vocabulary to complete my sentences. It was like words were missing. But I seem to be doing ok now, will get it assessed in a few weeks.

I guess I have all the normal craniotomy recovery symptoms. Loud noises are a problem. My hearing feels slightly different in both sides of my head. I can’t multitask and my concentration is reduced. I’m still quite weak and I’m still on pain relief.

I’m really blessed. My friends are staying overnight with me for the first week. They are also providing meals for the first few weeks while I get my strength back. I’m really happy to have gotten through a craniotomy; I know it won’t be smooth sailing over the coming weeks but I am so glad to have this time bomb out of my head.

6 Likes

I’ve been waiting to hear from you and great news! Take it easy and Take care, John.

1 Like

I am so happy for you and it is great to hear about it!!

1 Like

brain will heal!! take it slow and everyday it will get better i am also due myself for a left frontal lobe craniotomy grade 1 scared defintely but will be feeling 10x better once i know its out

2 Likes

Hi John, that’s great news! I wish you a steady recovery! All the best.

1 Like

Hi Ara, Wishing you all the best for your upcoming craniotomy. Just remember you will be asleep for all of the most scary moments. When you wake up, you have a white bandage around your head for two days so you can’t see what your neurosurgeon has done. It really helped me to ask a lot of questions in pre-admissions. Where would I be when I woke up? Who would be in the room? How many tubes would be coming out of me? What would they be for? etc

@aliveandkicking

Well done you!

Remember, you are SOOOOOO early days with this, be really, really patient with yourself and your recovery.

Wishing you all the best!

Richard

1 Like

This is great news and I am so glad your doing well… God bless!

2 Likes

Happy to read of your progress !

1 Like

Hi,
I’m glad you’re out of ICU. I went through the same thing but mine had ruptured. Are you in danger of having seizures because of the scar tissue? That’s what happened to me.
Greg

Hi Greg, I believe there is a risk of having seizures in the first year after a craniotomy. I think this is just a general risk for everyone. I haven’t had any yet.

@aliveandkicking Good to hear from you! and so good to hear the surgery went well!! Now take it day by day, be very gentle with yourself. Take care! Karin

1 Like

This is wonderful news, Aliveandkicking! Looking forward to reading more about your progress and healing. Take it easy, and make sure to stay in contact with your neuro team if any issues arise.

1 Like