What were you doing in the minutes that led up to your AVM rupture?

Hi, Carrie,

I was reading your profile and saw that your husband was in a coma for a month and is recovering at home now. You guys have been through a lot. I feel for you and I pray that your husband recovers completely. It is really hard to watch a person you love go through all of that, and I understand your wish that everything just go back to the way it was before it all happened. Ignorance IS bliss in certain circumstances, isn’t it?

My son is awaiting surgery on August 23rd, at which point, hopefully the AVM will be gone. We’ve been waiting since February 27th, and it gets to be a long wait.

Carrie Cook said:

HI there Kelly, My husband was in the garage working, he was using a grinding tool working on some steel, he was bent over, the pressure from being bent over was the likely cause I think, how is your little guy now?

Hi Kelly…

It was on my birthday in 2009 when I believe it ruptured… I had been sick with the flu, or so I thought, for two weeks but my friends had a surprise party planned. That being said, alcohol was involved. A few drinks and a few minutes later I was vomiting all over the party. I left immediately after of course. But I was pretty stubborn back then and ended up being bed ridden for four more days with no food/water intake, blurred vision, throbbing headaches and vomiting thinking it was just a bad flu + migraine. I went to ER on the fourth day and underwent surgery. Let me tell you, I definitely learned my lesson. Now whenever I get a headache that feels even a little off, I go straight for an MRI.

I was adjusting the clutch on a dump truck something i had done a million times before.

Cody had been going through a troubling time, having problems at school, temper tantrums. I thought he was grieving my sister dying. We had this one day when I was driving, and he started fighting the others in the van. I pulled over, and they all got out and walked the little way home while I talked to Cody about what was going on. The next day he was so calm, so quiet, and I thought the storms had finally passed. He had mac and cheese and went to bed early. He had the AVM during the middle of the night. Thank God for the German Shepherd. The dog knew something was wrong and literally saved Cody’s life.

It was a very hot day in July, I walked up the stairs to my 2nd story apt. I told my oldest son {12 at the time} wow its hot, is the air on,lol these were my last words…my son said i hit the floor face 1st. my youngest son came out of his room he was {6 at this time}. they called 911…when the fire dept. got there. they were trying to wake my up…then they were asking my kids if mommy had been" “drinking’”"my son said are you crazy my mom doesnt drink…I was slurring my speech so they [assumed] i was drunk! so they were just trying to put me in my bad and leave…but my KIDS cried and FOUGHT with them… that they decided to take me, TIED to a chair like i was crazy down the stairs…so they drove my to the hospital slow with no lights on. by time i got there i was bleeding out every hole of my body. they said by time i got to the emergency room i was screaming"and the ER doc. SAID NO that a BRAIN ANEURYSM. so they had to drive me to another hospital thats 30 min. away…SO LONG STORY SHORT IM LUCKY…

I ALSO HAVE TO SAY I HAD ALOT OF STRESS BEFORE THIS DAY MY MOM HAD JUST DIED 4 MONTHS EARLYER AND MY SISTER DIED ON MY BIRTHDAY SHE WAS 9 MONTHS PREGNANT {aortic Rupture}she was 35yrs old…

keri Drane said:

It was a very hot day in July, I walked up the stairs to my 2nd story apt. I told my oldest son {12 at the time} wow its hot, is the air on,lol these were my last words…my son said i hit the floor face 1st. my youngest son came out of his room he was {6 at this time}. they called 911…when the fire dept. got there. they were trying to wake my up…then they were asking my kids if mommy had been" “drinking’”"my son said are you crazy my mom doesnt drink…I was slurring my speech so they [assumed] i was drunk! so they were just trying to put me in my bad and leave…but my KIDS cried and FOUGHT with them… that they decided to take me, TIED to a chair like i was crazy down the stairs…so they drove my to the hospital slow with no lights on. by time i got there i was bleeding out every hole of my body. they said by time i got to the emergency room i was screaming"and the ER doc. SAID NO that a BRAIN ANEURYSM. so they had to drive me to another hospital thats 30 min. away…SO LONG STORY SHORT IM LUCKY…

My nephew was playing a video game when he had his bleed. He was lucid but had a hard time walking. He IMed his friend who called an ambulance. He then crawled up a short flight of stairs and outside to meet the ambulance. I don’t know if video games raise your blood pressure, but they surely stimulate your senses and brain activity. I agree with you, something must trigger it if you were born with the malformation.

I had just finished my paper run when i fell off my bike and knocked myself out. The local hospital deemed me ok and sent me home. My mother took me back to the hospital in Queensland Australia three days after the accident as I was still dizzy and falling over, and a nurse insisted to my mother I was putting it on to get out of school. My brain AVM was found three weeks later.

Hi,
I went bowling with my frens. After two throws I suddenly felt light headed, I sat down on the floor because of my dizziness, then I couldn’t move my right leg…when I tried to stand back up…that’s when my frens called the ambulance… Was conscious the whole ride to the hospital and I remembered after I threw my 2nd ball, my nose felt like water went into it…like the kind when u get from swimming. I hope this helps.

i was laying on my couch playing video games and IMing a friend then a felt what kinda felt like getting pricked with s needle in my head,then dropped my controller which i never did,when i went to pick it up i couldnt use my left hand wasted no time called 911 IMed my friend and went outside to wait since the 911 operator couldnt understand that i was in the basement

My little girl’s AVM is on her left hip/thigh/leg. The first time it ruptured she was about a year old and it was just really like a big black & blue. The secons time it ruptured was almost a year ago, she was about to take a bath when she started complaining of bad leg cramps, my nightmare began there. She had her MRI and now in August will haver her first treatment which I am praying goes well.

My bleed was when I got up one morning on a Sunday and was talking to my wife when it happend. I was relaxed. My Doc said energy drinks and coffee was a factor that did not help.

I was sedentary, I was sleeping and can’t remember if I was dreaming or not.

HI, READ YOUR POST, DID YOUR DOC. REALLY TELL U THAT WHAT YOU DRINKING HELPED YOUR AVM BLEED, THAT’S KIND OF HARD TO BELIEVE. FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ON ALL THE POST AND TALKING TO A LOT OF DOC’S THEY REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT MAKE’S THEM BLEED. SOME OF THEM NEVER DO, PEOPLE GO THERE WHOLE LIFE AND NEVER HAVE A BLEED. BUT GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS IN WHAT U DECIDE TO DO.

Sergio Lopez said:

My bleed was when I got up one morning on a Sunday and was talking to my wife when it happend. I was relaxed. My Doc said energy drinks and coffee was a factor that did not help.

In the moments right before i bleed I was at the gym. After a little work-out, I took a break to drink some water. After I swallowed the last sip, I suddenly felt an unexplicably sensation. It was like I had low blood sugar. I felt weaken and agitated. You can check my blog post for details. My Dr. said me that it could have happen at any time: while sleeping, while driving or in the court room. I think is right. Bleeding is caused by many factors, which add up over time. For example, I was a smoker but that day I did not smoked more than usual and i was at the beginning of the exercise.
I will ask another Dr. and i will tell you his answer.

Hi, Constantin,

It seems, from all of the posts here, that your doctor is right – it just happens. We can’t predict it. Being a mother and wanting to protect my son as much as possible, I chose not to believe his doctor when he told me this. I needed to see the proof for myself, though. :slight_smile:

Constantin Adrian Pirlac said:

In the moments right before i bleed I was at the gym. After a little work-out, I took a break to drink some water. After I swallowed the last sip, I suddenly felt an unexplicably sensation. It was like I had low blood sugar. I felt weaken and agitated. You can check my blog post for details. My Dr. said me that it could have happen at any time: while sleeping, while driving or in the court room. I think is right. Bleeding is caused by many factors, which add up over time. For example, I was a smoker but that day I did not smoked more than usual and i was at the beginning of the exercise.
I will ask another Dr. and i will tell you his answer.

I was going to school on september 18th all of a sudden I stared to stumble and I fell my grandma said if I was ok and I said I’m ok and I fell again so my grandma took me back to the house and called my mom so my mom left work and took me to the ER then the did a cat sceen and they said my avm bleed

I woke up at 2:45am on Monday, April 26th with what I thought was a horrible migraine headache. I was vomiting off and on for the rest of the night. Over the next 3 days I continued to have pain and vomiting thinking I was just having a really bad migraine. Finally on Thursday morning, April 29, 2010 I told my husband that I needed to go to the ER for a pain shot for my migraine. Luckily when we arrived at the hospital he told the nurses and doctors that this did not seem like a regular migraine since I had been saying some odd things. They did a CT and discovered the AVM. I had surgery a few days later.

Kelly Nelsen said:

I’m sorry, Ashok, I didn’t mean to offend you. I try to find humor in things because otherwise, this life would be unbearable.

janice hartman said:

Kelly Nelsen said:
I’m sorry, Ashok, I didn’t mean to offend you. I try to find humor in things because otherwise, this life would be unbearable.