What were you doing in the minutes that led up to your AVM rupture?

My husband was riding his bicycle. He doesn’t remember coming home. Then climbed up the stairs to our apt (3rd floor) carrying the bicycle. He had dinner immediately after that and started complaining about a headache. Then started vomiting after that, couldn’t speak. I called 911 and they discovered the bleeding at the hosp. I’m guessing his blood pressure being elevated b/c of the exercise, etc had something to do with it. Also, they were giving him meds to control blood pressure at the hosp to avoid more bleeding.

Hope this helps a little. And from one mom to another, may God bless you and your kid and give you strength!

no offense, kelly, but that stab at humor was pretty offensive to me. i love comedy as much as the next person, but that masturbation caused my avm to burst. and it was that avm bleed that has left me fully epileptic and mostly blind.

its hard to find humor in that, but im trying.

im half the man i used to be, and im trying to make myself complete once again.
i think we should all be there for each other and be sensitive to all of our situations. if we’re not compassionate towards each other, who will be?

Kelly Nelsen said:

That’ll teach yuh. :slight_smile:

ashok rajamani said:
you wont believe this –
i was MASTURBATING!!!
its in my upcoming memoir.
www.ashokrajamani.com

1 Like

last thing – i was placed under what the doctors called ‘death watch’ – my father even planned for my cremation while i was hospitalized. it has taken me TEN years of rehab to even exist again ‘normally,’ rhe partial blindness has been the worst, though. my grandfather in india had a heart attack and died when he heard what happened to me. ‘that’ll teach ya’ was hurtful and painful after all the work i’ve done to live again. it was a MASSIVE hemorrhage, exploding four separate lobes in my brain.
that’s all i’ll say anymore about it. i dont want pity. just a little understanding.

ashok rajamani said:

no offense, kelly, but that stab at humor was pretty offensive to me. i love comedy as much as the next person, but that masturbation caused my avm to burst. and it was that avm bleed that has left me fully epileptic and mostly blind.

its hard to find humor in that, but im trying.

im half the man i used to be, and im trying to make myself complete once again.

i think we should all be there for each other and be sensitive to all of our situations. if we’re not compassionate towards each other, who will be?

Kelly Nelsen said:
That’ll teach yuh. :slight_smile:

ashok rajamani said:
you wont believe this –
i was MASTURBATING!!!
its in my upcoming memoir.
www.ashokrajamani.com

1 Like

I’m sorry, Ashok, I didn’t mean to offend you. I try to find humor in things because otherwise, this life would be unbearable.

1 Like

My bleed i think is more natural.It was 2-3 hours(i dont know i lost my senses)after the second embo in the recovery room i can hardly remember this crazy headache.

thanks kelly, i knew you meant no harm. i was out of line replying that way. its just that last night was a particularly horrid day for me healthwise in my recovery, and i guess i took it out on you and this forum. i apologize.

Kelly Nelsen said:

I’m sorry, Ashok, I didn’t mean to offend you. I try to find humor in things because otherwise, this life would be unbearable.

No problem. We all have bad days. I hope that today is a better day for you in your recovery. These bad days get frustrating, though, don’t they?

Take care,
Kelly

ashok rajamani said:

thanks kelly, i knew you meant no harm. i was out of line replying that way. its just that last night was a particularly horrid day for me healthwise in my recovery, and i guess i took it out on you and this forum. i apologize.

Kelly Nelsen said:

My son was running the mile at school for the presidental fittness award.

My son had only been at school for about 1/2 hour. He said he got a really bad headache. He tried to get a drink and that didn’t help. Then he walked to the nurses office all by himself! Thank goodness he made it there. He vomited twice and went comatose. He was 12 at the time and graduating elementary school that week.

I was 9 at the time, and I had been sick, horribly sick, a few days prior to the bleed… lots of throwing up… etc… (but I did that every few months anyway from the time I was born, while I had my avm…)… When the avm ruptured, however, I believe it was shortly after having eaten breakfast, and I was watching tv with my grandparents (my little brother and I were staying at their house for a few days), when I suddenly got up, and started wandering around their house aimlessly, complaining of a terrible headache. After a few minutes of doing that, I grabbed my head, yelling about the pain, then let out a loud, sharp scream, and passed out on the floor (and was rushed to the hospital soon after).

All I can remember is coming home from school, most probably went on my computer, then literally out of no where I felt everything around me started spinning so fast, I ran downstairs to get someone, then I think vomited and then passed out. I don’t remember any serious pain or feelings prior to that, probably had a headache that day but I got them (and still do) quite frequently.

The only thing I can think of, if anything, that could of triggered the bleed was stress (even though my neurologist said nothing does). I was under quite a lot of stress with school and personal things at that time.

Hello Kelly…on the day of my bleed I was a busy busy lady. I had just returned from the barn where my horse was, came into the house started doing laundry and other household chores, sat down at the computer and started to get an ache behind my left eye (lots of sinus problems so thought was another sinus headache) got up to take medicine for sinus and that when I got the most horrific headache I ever had…thus my long journey (6 months) and I have surgery on the 25th of this month. I pray for peace in your home and God’s comfort as you deal with all of this. Love to you and your family…Donna

I was expierencing headaches, it wasn’t the first, honestly, I didn’t think anything was wrong, and used to the headaches, so I got up, and went to work. While there, the headache kept getting worse, and worse, I finally came home, and the headache was unbearable. I was married, (since then, divorced) and tole the wife, I had to go to the hospistal. She said "hold on, I’ll take ya."
I replied "there isn’t time, call an ambulance"
I then went to the local hospital, were the Dr. there said, "I hope it’s not what I think."
I asked him "what?"
He answered "I hope it isn’t an anuerysm"
Not knowing what one was I asked "what’s it cause?"
Just then, I passed out, and they lifelined me to a bigger city with a bigger holpital. I was there, a city down south, and a rehap, comatose for the next 18 months.
I have a feeling, that if I was anywhere but a hospital at the time of the bleed, I might not be here today.

Dean

I was at my oldest sons baseball JV doubleheader. I was perfectly fine the first game, during the second game I couldn’t follow the ball. It could have been a home run, foul ball, strike, I couldn’t tell. My wife kept telling me that something was wrong but I would tell her that the sun was causing me to not follow the ball and that I was fine. After the game I waited for my son to take him home with me. While I was waiting for him I started to feel like everything was starting to slow down and kind of getting darker. We got in the truck and I drove home which is about 10 miles away. We really didn’t talk much which we usually do after a game but that was probably due to me starting to phase out. Once we got home I called the father of a kid I was going to be coaching during the summer and asked him for his e-mail address. I couldn’t understand what he said and after the third time I told him OK and told my wife that she was going to have to call him because I couldn’t understand a word he said. My wife knew that something was definitly wrong and she has a medical background and started looking stuff up. She kept telling me that I was have syptoms of an anyersum. I told she was crazy and I went and sat down. They gave me some juice and a sandwich and called my stepmom who is a nurse. By the time she got there I was really knew something was wrong. She asked me what time it is and I replied “I don’t f***** know and I don’t f***** care” and I never curse in front of my sons. Then she asked me what day is it and I replied “Randy” who is a good friend of mine. She asked me if I would go to the hospital and I agreed and stood up and started walking to the garage. About half way there I blacked out and still made it to the garage where my stepmom and youngest son kicked out my knees and put me on the floor. My wife had already called the ambulance because she knew there was know way they would have time to get me to the hospital. I had a full blown seizure in front of my wife and sons. Worst day of my life.

I was doing cartwheels in martial art called Capoeira . I did about six of them and I blacked out after the last one. Apparently I had a seizure and when I woke up I thought someone had kicked me in the head. I also felt like that the back of my head was bleeding. Lucky there were medical students at the track that I was at and the hospital was less than a mile away. I had an excruciating headache but I was able to hold a conversation with the medical team and my classmates. It was unreal. Later I was put into a medically induced coma for about 2 weeks. I don’t remember much but my mother told me that I was on a respirator when I woke up and that I had a feeding tube in me. I honestly felt like nothing had happened. I even tried to get out of bed and go to work.

On march 2nd 2010, I woke up to a bullet in my head and a major brain hemmorrhage. The snooze button on my alarm clock saved my life and was found by my housemate who found me beside my bed. By the time I knew something was wrong I couldn’t do anything except lie down and accept my fate, my arms wouldn’t work and couldn’t drag my body to stand up. Fortunately have recovered well, have lost my temporal vision but I’m very grateful for what I have. The shock of this event and how your life can change in a single moment has shaken me to the core.have just got my embolization treatment which went very well:)so beginning to see hope again:)

Actually the temperature thing is interesting to me. I had first symptom on December 29, 2009. My family and I were at IKEA in Philadelphia and I had just put a heavy box into the car. It was a very, VERY cold day with a strong wind, but I’ve always been a cold weather person, so I really wasn’t bothered by the temperature. When I went back inside the warm store, I had momentary lightheadedness and saw a dark “afterimage” in my right peripheral vision (like after a camera flash makes you see purple spots). The visual symptom would come and go throughout the day in varying intensities. When we finally went home, I went to the ER, got a CAT scan and then have getting treated since. I just went back in last Monday (May 10, 2010 for an additional embolization (had the first one on Decmber 31st). I’ve been lucky because I’ve been almost symptom-free since that first day. I can see how that initial dramatic temperature change could have caused the initial bleed.

My daughter, 16 at the time, was sitting in a chair wanting to be chosen to be hypnotized at a show at the county fair. She fell out of the chair and had a seizure on the floor. The hypnotist had not started the show yet so I can’t blame it on that!

I think for each of us it can be different. Our minds work in different ways and get exercised differently

You may be nuts a many times a Mother senses something about their childern that can’t be proven scientifically but that doesn’t make it less true!!!

My humble opinion!!!

Hello,all I am glad I have found you, I was getting ready for work and was putting on my shoes and when I raised up my head started to hurt and I went to work but my head keep hurting until I finally went to the hospital. This as thurs the 15th of April and went to the hospital on the 18th and with the CT scan on the 18th is when they say the bleeding and did the angiogram on the 19th and told me I had AVM.