Survey: What year and how old were you when your AVM occurred?

27 Nov. 11th 2005 when I was pregnant with my second child

It was Aug. 2010. I was 28 and it was after I had my 3rd child.

Hi Michael, intersting study! My AVM was an incidental finding, discovered in 1985 when I was 26 yrs old.
It was treated with Gamma Knife in 1993 and took about 4 yrs to obliterate. Since then I only had minor problems with memory and finding the right words sometimes when talking, but most people would never have known about it unless I told them. Then, about 3 yrs ago, a funny thing happened on my way to the beach for a long weekend! I had a great big (aka grand mal) seizure! My AVM was pretty large and apparently the residual scar tissue was to blame.Since then I have trouble tolerating the meds: memory, super tired, etc. Hope the newer, less primative, GK machines will leave even less scar tissue. Technology is amazing! Good luck!
Kristin

K. Wilkinson said:

My AVM was discovered October 2010. Resection of the 3cm nidus was completed Dec., 2010. My last follow-up appointment is next week. I am six months out from the surgery, not one, zero, zip, nada headache in all that time. I am 54 years old. My defeciet is 20 db, threshold shift hearing loss in my left ear. I'll take that.

Dr. Chen said "I am going to treat you like you have another 20 years or more". I believe he will be right. Now I have to battle colon cancer. That fight has already started.

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life, How are you going to live it". me.

Udate: Never say never. I had a Siezure two days ago. Big One. Now my back and left shoulder feel like were hit with a truck. I believe it was caused by all the stress, and MRIā€™s and dye in my system. I had not been feeling well for a day,and the ringing in my ears was funny. I knew it was coming. Just not how bad it was going to be. I thought I would be free from siezures, but I guess not.

I was 37 years old, just 5 days away from my 38th birthday when I had mine in March of this year.

25 years old in 2002 with a rupture. Iā€™m now 34 years old and have started resection of my AVM on my tongue.

30 when it was found in a CT scan on December 2010 & bled one month later in January 2011. Removed via surgery in February 2011.

Yeah not that this is what youā€™re looking for by any meansā€¦ I wasnā€™t even born yet when you discovered your AVM but I still thought I could throw my age and year out there as well as everybody else. I was and still am 21 years old when my cerebellar AVM ruptured not even a year ago back in December 2010. I still have a couple defecits from the hemorrhage but have been told that I should fully recover in a year or two. I can only hope.

Again, not really what youā€™re looking for, but my AVM was discovered last month (July 2011) after a seizure. Iā€™m 25.

i was 32 and the year was 2009

If u never experienced any PERMANENT LOSS from your AVM, you have no freakinā€™ right to jump on this self-appointed soap-box of yours and blab about what a complete recovery you had, and how great and remarkable you are, etc. etcā€¦because you never really suffered ANYTHING. SO ā€¦ BFD BUDDY. I would even go out on a limb and guess that you are the kind of person that talks about himself often, and reminds those around him, how great of an individual you are! Sound familiar? mmmmmmmā€¦ one word ā€¦ NARCISSIST

Hi Douglas,

Hmmm, Iā€™m not at all sure who your post was directed to, or who said what that caused you to say what you did. But know that while many of us have symptoms and experiences that are very similar, our experiences can and do vary greatly. And regardless of our experiences, or whether or not anyone does or doesnā€™t have permanent deficits from AVM, we all belong here, and we are all welcome here. No oneā€™s experience is any more or less valid than anyone elses.

And we donā€™t do ā€˜rudeā€™ with each other here. If you feel you have a problem of some kind with anyone here, you could always send that person a private message and discuss it, or you can contact any of the site administrators or moderators.

Welcome to the site.

Tori, he does rude.

Tori,

Thank You for speaking up for all of us.

I found out about my avm when it ruptured in 2009. I was 28 yrs old.

Hi Michael,

My daughter is 12 yeard old and was diagnosed last Aug 2 and had her craniotomy last Aug 6. Sheā€™ll be back to school by next week as an ordinary high school girl. Honestly, I have fears but then I know that God will never leave her side and will protect her from harm. Her doctor suggested to repeat MRI on October to be sure. God is so good. My daughter has no complications or no reactions from her meds during the time when she was confined.

I would love to read your book to keep the inspiration going. I know God has given me a purpose primarily why he guided me to join this group. I love to hear inspirations and motivations from from people like you. More power.

Wow! Just catching up on this thread and reading Dougā€™s responseā€¦ I have a mouth like a trucker and am not afraid to use it. Doug, you sound like a d!ck. Just because someone doesnā€™t have permanent loss doesnā€™t mean they didnā€™t suffer. Iā€™ve fully recovered and am blessed, lucky and totally thankful for it. I guess I didnā€™t suffer when I had a hemorrhage and had the rescue took me away, I didnā€™t suffer when I was away from my family and 2 young kids for countless nights, I didnā€™t suffer when the kids had to be snuck into ICU to visit me because they are only 3 and 6 years old, I didnā€™t suffer when I was recovering from my hemorrhage and didnā€™t know if ā€œtodayā€ was going to be the day I had another hemorrhage, stroke or seizureā€¦ what a lucky guy you are to be so negative and have a chip on your shoulder, that is the easy path. Iā€™m sorry you have issues, but most of us are here to help othersā€¦ regardless of circumstances, everyone has a scary story to tell.

You said it better than I did. I just said he is rude as usual.
beans

Happy 50th this year! Small worldā€¦I turned 50 on February 2nd this year!!!

My AVM bleed happened last April (2010) at age 49. I had no idea I had one (or what it was). Yes, technology today is wonderful. Although my brain surgeon (age 40) died this January of a massive brain hemmorageā€¦same as he saved me from last year. So I guess itā€™s not always a sure thing no matter what.

My husband and I wrote a book about the experience and had it published in November of 2010. Itā€™s called ā€œUnstoppable Lifeā€ and can be found on Amazon.com Weā€™re almost done with our second book and I just started the outline of the third book. Never expected to be an author, but when you go through something like this, you just want to turn it into a positive lesson for others. Good lluck with that and let me know if you have questions as you go through the process. We can also help to connect you with a ghost writer or publishing assistance.

my son was had his first surgery a33 yrs ago