Steroid Withdraw (Urgent)

Hello all,

I have been weaning off steroids for the last 2 weeks. I had previously been on them for about 4 months straight (end of August - now) and was on and off them June-August. I was on Dexamethasone. I was on 1 mg at night and 1 mg in the morning. This saturday 12/2/16 is my last day of weaning off of them. During this weaning process, I’ve been having severe muscle spasms in my neck, back and down my right arm and makes my fingers curl and it is very painful, and charlie horses, hot flashes, nausea and dizziness. The muscle spasms have gotten so bad I even had to go to the ER. Has anyone else had this problem while weaning off steroids and do you have any suggestions for help.
Thanks
Alyssa

Hi amcoffey

I had my AVM treatment lat year Feb’15 & steroid dexamethasone was given immediately after my SRS (Prevent swelling). Also took dexamethasone again
somewhere six months later due to brain swelling shown in MRI. I took it for 2 months straight & the only side effect i had was glaucoma. But it went off once i’m off on
dexamethasone.

Talk to your doc for the systoms you have, they are the right person to give you the
answer.

Takecare

I also had similar symptoms every time I came off of the steroids after each surgery. I was never on them for more than two weeks, so my side effects were much milder than yours but were the same type of issues. I found that taking acetominophen regularly (every 4-6 hours) and LOTS of water helped to get through the weaning process better.

Sam