Spinal Avm

Hoping to get some feedback, my dad had spinal AVM over 20 years ago and had to learn to walk again now for the past couple years he is getting weaker in his legs, muscles getting smaller and can only walk short distances, he has a Neuro appointment in Feb but I am worried, has anyone experienced this? Could it be a whole new disease or do you think it is somehow related

Hello Staci,

how was the treatment of your dad? I had 5 angios, 2 embos and 2 laminectomies. So is the AVM really obliterated?

Wish you all the best,
Michael

The Doctors back then said it was, he never fully got better, his legs stayed pretty week an has always had a bad back, but now his legs really weak and one more than the other lots of cramping hard time walking, he fears it could be another neurological disease but seems to coincidental that he had this problem before and now it is all happening again, I am so worried for him, he is looking up symptoms and says they point to ALS but hope he is wrong

Hi I’m Diane n I was first diagnosed with a spinal avm 45 yrs ago when at 15. I realised that one leg was thinner than the other. A laminectomy at T6 ro T1 was performed n all I was told that they didn’t like what they saw so they tidied it up n I was told to get on n enjoy life. This I did until 10 yrs later when I strted to get shooting pains n fell to the floor n was unable to get up. By end of day I was paralysed at 27.

I hope yr dad gets on well at his appt n the only thing I could add is to make a note of questions you want to ask like, pain, loss of sensation and treatments that are now available which will help him make the most of his life. Good luck n I will be thinking of you. Diane.

@Staci some updates? How was the treatment he had the years before?