Recovery

im just wondering if anyone with an avm rupture healed within the yr or 6 months? or what their progress was at 6 months to a year? my boyfriend is 3 months in and he cant speak or sit up by himself or walk yet… i know its gunna take time and everybody is different.

1 Like

Hi Karmen, everyone is different, It does depends on the severity of the bleed and where the bleed is also. For me I had a craniotomy to treat the bleed I had, Then I recovered enough to have another craniotomy 7 months later to remove my AVM, When I say recovered I mean I was able to do most regular stuff like walk and talk and eat etc, But I was very tired most of the time doing anything, It takes years to get strength back. I was working again after my bleed in about 8 months but only a desk job, But this was challenging and I enjoyed the test of it. My bleed was in the right temporal to frontal area of the brain, The initial craniotomy saved my life so was pretty serious and I have permanent issues with headaches and a numb patch on my upper right thigh, But that’s all. I live my life normally now to the fullest.

Martin.

Karmen,

I agree with Martin, it very much depends on where and how extensive his bleed was. The more extensive, the longer the recovery, and I think it is fair to suggest that this is the sort of thing to try even the most patient person beyond most reasonable limits: be enthusiastic and determined about recovery but you’ve got to be amazingly patient.

I cant imagine not being able to speak. Please tell me what he can do so far.

Very best wishes to both of you,

Richard

1 Like

patience and determination is the key.
I am 2 years since my avm rupture and my neurologist says I am as revovered as I can reasonably expect but I intend to keep fighting; I really want to work and drive again so the fight continues!

Hope the best for him. I was paralyzed on my right side for a month. After that I still had physical therapy for a year to get my right side to function right. As for my speech was damaged but more of finding the right words to say. If you have any other questions just ask.