Recovery for Catheter Embolisation?

Hi guys,

Starting to anticipate the next steps in my journey and expect to have a catheter embolisation in March… question I’m having from work is “how long will you be off for?” My initial consultation indicated that surgery/intervention would be a couple of months away, so didn’t seem urgent to ask about recovery at the time. I’ve phoned the hospital but not had any feedback yet.

I understand that if there are complications, it could be any time in hospital but if everything goes well, I think it might be a couple of days in hospital. However, how fit are you after that to go back to an office job?

I’m currently very functional - no deficits - but dural AVM in my right occipital and what feels to me like a fair bit of reflux, inflating the veins all across the outside, and I assume the inside, of my head. So I’m dizzy and feel pressure in my head much of the time.

Doc expects to do combined angiogram and catheter embolisation in one sitting, possibly need a second sitting embolisation if we don’t get to everything first time. I assume those would have some time between them.

All stories, clues, welcome!

Thanks, Richard

Hi Dick, I hope that others give you some more info but it seems that recovery is different dependant on your circumstances its really a “how long is a piece of string” type of question, Your doctor should sign you off work for the length of time he things applicable in your case and also it will depend on what you do for a living, If you have a desk job then I guess that its easier to get back into it, But if you have a Labour type job then that will be different. Thanks and good luck with your treatment, I hope both the community and your doctors respond with as much info as you need. Take care

Martin

Hi. How was it and how are you now?

Still waiting for my appointment date. Should be week 1 or 2 of March.

Getting dizzier week by week and worked short days last week and the week before but haven’t had anything serious go on. I’m better off than many here, I feel.