Possible spinal AVM diagnosis

Hi there. In mid September I woke up in the middle of the night with little feeling on my left side along with minor pins and needles. I was promptly admitted to the hospital on stroke evaluation. I had several MRIs and has a dorsal epidural enhancement due to a prominent venous plexus. I have good days and bad days with sever pain, pins and needles, burning, muscle twitching, and headaches. I also have brain fog that goes back many years ago as well as confusion and minor memory problems. Has anyone experienced anything similar on an MRI reort? I am seeing a new neurologist on January 20 since my last one was no very helpful. I am also a 20 year old female. I also feel weak often and like there are sand bags tied to me

1 Like

Hi, and welcome to the site. I can’t say I have experienced anything similar, I have an AVM in my brain that they clearly identified through an angio following a bleed. My most recent MRI only shows a void where the bleed occurred and can’t observe the MRI. Always good to see another care provider if not happy, I’ve certainly learned to be my own advocate in the “medical world”. Always polite but also prepared for appointments with questions I have, and to find out what is next in my treatment or plan. I have personally learned to be very patient as I await the follow ups. Its great you’re here, John.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. That is most definitely something I have struggled with. Doctors are very difficult to work with at times. Glad to hear your story. Thank you for the input!

Hi welcome.

I chave just read your post and can see lots of similarities. I have a diagnosis of a spinal AVM (diagnosis December 2015) and have had symptoms for many years. Pins and needles, balance problems, headache, fatigue, brain fog, weird burning sensations, general aches and pains especially lower back. However just seemed to get n with it as when I went to doctors it was put down to wear and tear or just muscular strains. It was so not when I was involved in a minor car accident and the physiotherapist giving me treatment was not happy with all my symptoms that she sent me straight to my doctor. Over a year of tests later and I get my diagnosis. If I can help answering any questions please just ask. Take care AMANDA

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Hi, I have a spinal avm low in my sacral spine. I had and continue to have many of the symptoms you have described. I also felt like there were sandbags tied to my legs. I was diagnosed Dec. 2016 as it got sever enough that I couldn’t weight bare or walk. I had angioplasty and could walk again but due to ongoing nerve damage I still have the tingling and burning that varies and haven’t been able to identify why. A year later I still have nerve damage, saw the neurologist early january and he says the nerves are still healing (good news). Nerves take a long time to heal so it can be years of progress. Keeping active and positive is essential to healing along with plenty of sleep.