Nicholas

My son Nicholas died on June 3, 2015 due to a spontaneous intra-cerebral hemorrhage due to an AVM.
He had major reconstruction surgery on his foot and ankle on January 22, 2015. We never knew he had a AVM.
My question is this, could the surgery have contributed to the hemorrhage. I still don’t have the autopsy so I’m totally in the dark about this. He was only 35.

Hi Klee , I'm very sorry to hear about your loss :( , During this sad time there is nothing that I could say to make you feel any better, I am unsure on your question, my initial thoughts are no but the best people to ask are doctors , but unfortunately they may also be protecting there own butts by saying no !, Sorry again I couldn't help more.

Martin.

Thank you Martin, I have so many questions. I guess there are no answers.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, hemorrhages from AVMs can strike suddenly and without warning, even at 35 years old. I’m so sorry the loss of your son, Klee.

I agree with Martin, it’s not likely to be related to foot surgery. The best person to answer that question is the doctor.

If there’s anything we can help with, please don’t hesitate to ask. You and your son will be in my thoughts and prayers.

My deepest condolences on the loss of your son. The autopsy should show if there was a blood clot from his surgery that contributed to a rupture (but more likely a stroke), but I would think it highly unlikely given the extensive time between his surgery and his rupture.
A lot of AVM's are incidental finds. If he had no symptoms of an AVM (and a lot of people don't) or any injury to the head that would have required further investigation then there would never have been any indication that an MRI would have been needed and the AVM found up to the point of his passing.
I would have thought the autopsy results would have been completed by now so it may be something you need to get a copy of to answer your question.

Sorry to hear the news about your son Klee...in this hard time may God bless you and your family and i for one will keep you in my prayers...I feel for you as i am the same age and its scary to think we forget how serious these AVMs can be, to think we complain about our problems here...no words can comfort you at this time and we hope you can keep us posted as we consider you part of the family...God bless!

Thank you Jess

Thank you Tim. Nicholas also had spinal meningitis when he was two months old and he was a head banger throughout his childhood. He was a real scrapper as a teenager and had numerous concussions throughout his life. I guess these are questions that I will have to ask after I get the results from the autopsy. Thank you for your kind words .

Klee, I'm very sorry to hear about Nicholas's passing. AVMs can rupture spontaneously and without warning symptoms beforehand. It is often not possible to assign a cause. I wish you and your family peace and healing.

Thank you Christine I’m waiting for the autopsy results as of right now it’s been four months. I don’t know why it’s taking so long. I guess I’m just trying to find a reason why. Thank you for your kind words.

Thank you Adrian and I will keep you in my prayers as well.

Thank you you’ll be in my prayers also.

As a 45 year old headbanger myself, I am truly sorry for your loss. I hope you get closure soon as it's been too long. These things happen without warning, trust me. Hang in there, God bless.

Condolences on your loss.

God bless you too. Just looking for answers. No closure for this.

Thank you.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to find peace even if you can't find answers.

God Bless you also.

Thank you I’m trying.