Newbie in Petaluma

I only know it’s right next to my speach area of the brain. I wrote what my diagnoses said previously. Lol I can’t remember.
I think I’m getting a CT scan to confirm AVM. I do believe I had a standard MRI if there is such a thing.
I will know more after January. The holidays are making doctor appointment scarce at this time.

1 Like

Yes so hard to get in year end for any doctor- Ok so probably on your left side temporal lobes which are involved in memory, speech, musical rhythm, and some degree of smell recognition.
Keep us updated -
Hugs
Angela

1 Like

So today I saw my cardiologist. I thought it important that he was informed.
I’m glad I did. He’s going to schedule me a CT scan for ASAP. He doesn’t want me to wait until January 15.
He also was going to tell my primary doctor that I need to see a neurosurgeon not just a neurologist.
He also said to keep him informed of my progress so no one drops the ball and he can make sure we move this along quickly.
Feeling cared for. I’m much more calm.

1 Like

@Karen62 so glad you saw your heart doctor and he is pushing things for you.
Hopefully you can see Dr Lawton at UCSF or Dr Michael Marks at Stanford-
Keep us updated
Angela

1 Like

I know right I’m so excited he is pushing for me. I’m writing down the doctors name at UCSF.
He mentioned UCSF being apart of this. I’ll keep you posted my friend.

1 Like

Yes Dr Lawton is one of the best and I have seen his work. My ENT knows him and wanted me to have my angiograms/embolisms there but now we live closer to Stanford and all my medical stuff is at Stanford and my friend at the time was running the MRI dept so I could get in easily for my tests.

Keep us updated and I am happy to meet you for coffee lunch etc

Angela

1 Like

Hi, Karen!

Angela was most helpful in suggesting UCSF. They excell in neurosurgical treatment of AVMs and other neurovascular conditions.
My cerebellar AVM rupture was 24 years ago (when I was a young SICU nurse). I had no prior symptoms, other than migraine headaches that I had since about age 11. I still have them. I woke up, got a SUDDEN headache in a very localized site, and wondered if I should call 911. I did…after breaking into a head-to-toe sweat! After an urgent CT scan, I had an angiogram that confirmed the presence of an AVM that had ruptured. Off to surgery! The surgery was performed at a Peninsula hospital. For that time, my survival and recovery was considered a miracle.
I agree with Angela. See a neurosurgeon (UCSF) and I am pretty sure they will want to confirm your AVM with an angiogram. They can then present you with options for treatment.
I am so glad your cardiologist has moved things along foryou. An AVM must be taken seriously and quickly. I’ll be here for you.

:brain: :woman_health_worker:t2: :heart:

1 Like

Awe thank you. I love this site and am very grateful for it and you.

1 Like

Tomorrow at 3:00 I have an appointment at UCSF. They reviewed the documents that were sent over this morning.
From what I understand I have 2 areas of AVM. They’re on opposite sides of each other.
I shall report back with information from appointment.

1 Like

Hi Karen,

Thinking of you, hope your appointment is useful in answering some of your questions and giving you more information. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes and hugs :heart_decoration:

Corrine

1 Like

So, Newbie!

What is happening since your visit? Concerned about you and sending positive thoughts your way.

1 Like

February 12th I will be having a Craniotomy at UCSF. Question: will I be awake during this process like the angiogram?
I will be there for 3-5 day according to the booklet. I’m not sure. Does that sound right?
Since my AVM is next to my speech and on the surface it will be easy to access. Doctor said I may have speach problem for a while but it shouldn’t last.
UCSF for Valentine’s day. That’s a first.

Hi, Newbie in Petaluma,
So glad you saw UCSF doctors. I want to encourage you to ask questions here and of your surgical team. Worries pre-operatively will not put you in the best state of mind before such an undertaking as a craniotomy. As for anesthesia: You will be OUT! General anesthesia. I placed your surgery on my calendar and will be sure to send healing thoughts your way. (My surgery was on Labor Day!)

1 Like

How long will they keep me in hospital if everything goes well?
So I shouldn’t dye my hair before correct?
Thanks for your help.

I think the 3-5 days is what that booklet is saying and we have people here who have followed that pattern.

I’ll also be thinking about you on 12th!

Richard

1 Like

Dear Newbie,
First of all, I apologize for not keeping in touch. A family health issue and my own fatigue, etc…
How are things? I don’t see any entries here. It may be a bit too much to be online. Are you alright? Have you been in acute rehab following the surgery? It can be slow-going, but keep at it…body, mind, and spirit. I am hoping you have plenty of REAL support! Once home, if you have a pet, it can be of great comfort and support. My cat was always there to hear what was on my mind.
Strength to you, lifeisgood

2 Likes

I haven’t been to rehab. My doctor is on leave at this time.
I pulled through smoothly and am doing good. I know they didn’t get it all out.
I go back April 5th for CT scan and doctor appointment afterwards. I’ll know more than.
I have been doing my exercises for my mouth to open wide again. So far no luck.
Thanks for asking how I am doing.

2 Likes

Karen62,
So happy to hear that your surgery went smoothly. They didn’t get it all out? So, what is planned at this point?
:smiley: :heart:️ , lifeisgood

Hi Karen,
I was just reading through your logs. I just wanted to check to see how you’re doing post surgery. You said you had another AVM on the opposite side. Will they do a craniotomy after you’re completely healed from the first surgery?
Just checking to see how you’re doing,
Lisa

1 Like

It turns out after my angiogram I only had one. I go back this Thursday to learn more about how the surgery went and where to go from here. I’m feeling pretty good.