Keppra and Anxiety/Depression Side Effects

I take 200mg of topiramate, and 300mg. Of venlafaxine, and 25mg of Metoprolol tartrate. This help me out some. My depression is bad and my anxiety to. I stay fighting them all the time. A lot of days I can’t do nothing but stay in the bed, with no lights on. One thing that keeps me is knowing the God is good.

1 Like

I am on Kepra since the AVM was discovered. never had changed the medication. Only reduced the dosis a bit. I had no disconfort taking it. Only if I forget to take one dose then I have to take a doble one next time I remembered. Medication is not a visible problem. The only thing I had noticed is a bit of difficulty on sleeping. Still sleep but not for more that 5 or 6 hours.
Sometimes had small nap after lunch…

My last message was back in September 2018. Now is almost the end of May 2019. My condition still that same. Continue taking kepra 3 times a day, exactly every 8 hour I noticed that taking the medication every 8 hours helps to control the lapses (seizures) that sometimes occurs. The last one was just 2 days ago and one of my students parents saw it, she said it only lasted 6 or 7 sec. I asked her what she saw, she said that I just closed my eyes and stayed still.
Does anyone have anything similar??

Yeah get that quite often, doctor asked my wife if she could film it, bit difficult when they happen all of a sudden…

I don’t lose Consciousness I just kind of zone out for about six or seven seconds from time to time

A long time ago used to have some like this. It would last about 10 seconds. Would be more like a fast forward in time. Was just non responsive but would no something happened after it ended. My teacher would notice just because I looked like I was frozen or in a stair down.

Thanks for the he replies. Was interesting to read about other people’s experiences on the situation. Will continue keeping in touch.
Take care everyone.

Hello amcoffey - I experienced the same thing after taking Keppra.
I experienced a gran mal seizure about seven months after having the GammaKnife procedure performed on me after my rupture. That would be when the local Neurologist had prescribed Keppra for me.
I dealt with crippling depression and anxiety after taking it. I would do a lot of crying at night, and I would try hard to keep a strong face for work.
I would talk with the Neurologist about the depression and anxiety that I had dealing with due to the Keppra, and he would prescribe something a lot lighter (I don’t remember the name of the medication or its dosage unfortunately). The side effects with those weren’t as bad with what I had dealt with with the Keppra. And it took some time, but I would eventually get used to the medication.
Maybe you should check with your Doctor/Neurologist about the side effects that the Keppra is causing you, and see if he/she would suggest another anti-seizure medication.

Best wishes.