I had my surgery

Hi everyone,
I am. 21 yr old female and I had my avm removed on the 11th and it is now the 17th! It has almost been a week since my brain surgery… surgery went successful and now I am just recovering. I feel tired from the medication and a little dazed but I know I’ll just improve from here. I had my avm above my right ear on the right temporal lobe near the surface and surgery took about 7 hours to complete and then they did an angiogram to confirm it was fully removed. I totally recommend braiding your hair if you have long locks before surgery because my hair came out in knotts and I lost a bunch from combing it all out plus it didn’t feel very pleasan brushing it out. They are now having me take an anti seizure medication called (divalproex sodium) 2 capsules every 8 hours (125 mg)
If you’ve taken this medicine what is your experience? Good and bad… if you have any questions about my surgery or need advice just send me a message!

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re doing fantastic Corrina! I’m so happy all is going well, great news. Can’t help with the medication as I’m not familiar. Posts like these sure make my day! I can only imagine the feeling knowing that is obliterated. Take Care, John.

1 Like

Thank you so much john! Yeah I’m feeling good, just a little dazed and tired from surgery but that was expected… now I just have to get back to normal so I can continue back to my normal routine and continue with life. It will be so nice not needing to worry about my avm anymore especially because I would have fainting spells every few months where I’d have a seizure as well… not fun! Hopefully this cures that

1 Like

Congratulations on the removal Corrina that is great news that everything went well… God bless!

Hi glad your surgery went well, I had surgery back in May 2017 and all went well, can I ask how long it took to get your results from Angio to check it had all gone ? I had a CT Angio back In Aug 22nd and still waiting results , my post op with vascular nurse was supposed to be this month but got cancelled and rescheduled for November , wasn’t happy I have to wait another 2 mths to speak to anyone about it. I’ve called surgeons secretary but no results have still come back. It such a long haul and wait

For me they did the angiogram while I was still unconscious from surgery and said it was removed

Fabulous news, all the best for the future. Speedy recovery.
Sarah