How old were you when your avm was detected?

10 days before my 25th birthday I had the stroke.

I was 13 when my avm was found. That was 22 years ago. The avm caused me to have seizures.

1 Like

Thanks Lynn. I was 14 when mine was found. I think this sort of age is fairly common as hormonal changes are kicking in. My AVM hasn't ruptured even though I am 43 now. Has yours?

1 Like

Thanks Karen.

I was 29

Hello everyone - my name is Beth and I am 50 (my bleed was July 29th 2003). I have written an essay about all the different experiences over the last 13 years. I am trying to publish this but I also want a lot of people to read this.

This is 14 pages long but I hope you will be willing to read all of it. I would like to get any comments you would like to say. My email is jonopep@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Beth

145-Wd0000037.doc (48.5 KB)

I was 3 when they found my AVMS in my lungs. I had surgery at the age of 5 and then was ok till I had my first child at 19. Have had many more surgeries. Iā€™m still on going now.

I was 38 when mine was diagnosed. It's ruined my life as I have lost peripheral vision and, post op, I have had issues with my memory.

I try to keep a different perspective. Avm rupture caused two strokes. I lost left peripheral vision, took me 6 months to learn to walk again. I have Short term memory and cognitive issues but I am alive and be involved in my wife and daughters lives. I probably shouldn't be alive so despite my deficits I feel fortunate.

I try to be positive about surviving etc but I have lost my girlfriend and had my family judge me, I am grateful to be alive, but I can't help being upset by what I have lost

Perhaps I should add that despite the loss of vision and memory issues, I am very lucky and a lot better off than many. I am struggling with life just now but I know I am very lucky

I understand. I have those moments but I try to get back to the positives or i will end up angry at the world. I can't drive or work; the loss of independence can be overwhelming at times.

1 Like

Discovered the one in my neck when I was 15 years old. Didn't know for sure it was an AVM until it was removed and I was 25. Found a second one on my temple when I was 34 maybe... Diagnosed officially at 39.

I was 27 years old:
June 17, 1988 approximately 1:40 PM.
I was shooting pool with a friend in a local tavern. I was drinking 7-Up.
Led Zeppelin's "Dancing Days" was on the stereo.
I had a seizure.
There was this loud buzzing noise in my head.
I woke up in the back of an ambulance.
There were previous "signs" but I didn't know what was going on.
I had a hemorrhagic stroke about May 1, 2012.
I turned 55 years old today.

I was 27 in 2012. I was driving home with really bad headache woke up in the hospital about a month later and now 4 years later almost all beter only headachs holding me back

I was 13 , had first seizure.

1 Like

I was 14 and making plans to have my XV Birthday Celebration, Quinceanera. So that was moved back one year and the surgery two years. I am now 16 and had my craniotomy on March 30, 2016.

2 Likes

I was 22,in 2011

1 Like

This year, Im 29

Two months ago. I am 26