How old were you when your avm was detected?

My AVM was discovered about month ago when it ruptured... I'm 31 years old.

My mum had to really insist that medical professionals give me a CT scan too. I had been getting lots of headaches and sickness but before the scan the doctors just said I had migraine. None of the migraine tablets worked though and it turned out I wasn't having migraines at all.

Thanks ZaTesia. Hope you were okay.

My mother also had to insist that they do CT scans while I was in the ER. Actually, the first ER I went to, she was told “we don’t just do CT scans on anyone who walks in.” And he released me! Later that same day we went to a different hospital and that ER doc was kind enough to say “We’re not sure what’s wrong, but obviously something is so we will admit you until we find out.” My AVM was so small that the CT scan didn’t even pick it up. The MRI did. Amazing how it was that small, but caused so much damage.

I was 29 yrs old when my AVM ruptured.Had stereotactic radio surgery.4 yrs later it was totally obliterated. Still have weakness Lt side but am one lucky lady.I am now 49yrs old.

34 right after I had a stroke, so for all the years prior it was never detected

I was 63. I was working in yard when had most horrible headache. Called my neighbor and sister on phone.The last thing I remember is the emts taking me to hospital. Woke up 3 days later. The day my bleed occurred was Monday, May 5,2014

I was 29yrs old, my AVM bleed whilst I was playing with my 2yr old son.luckily I managed to get to a phone. That was 20 years ago and I had stereotactic radio surgery.It took 4yrs to heal but the options they have today were not available then.

All this is simply incredible. I posted this practically two years ago; its been viewed or 3200 times witch is simply incredible. Intrestingly looking at most of the replys I feel like mine was found when I was way too young; bad luck?
In my case mine caused a massive bleed when I was eight. Been operated two times with gamma knife.Love to answer any questions someone might have since it seems my circumstance is not common at all.

Hi Jpico99
I answered this post a while ago, but saw your answer just now. I also had a bleed when I was 8 years. I had symptoms before that, headaches, spots in my eyes, and a swish noise in my ear. I then had a grand mal seizure, and was in a coma for 4 days. I had many tests, some barbaric with no conclusions. So based on the results of an EEG, they did an exploratory craniotomy. The EEG showed an area of irritation, and that is where the surgeon aimed for. He found the tangle of veins and arteries, used vascular clips, and took extra brain matter in case there was cancer. This was in the visual cortex. I am so thankful I am here to tell the story at the age of 66. I was very lucky, and I know it. After the internet was part of life, I did so much research, always seeing the average age for a bleed was not 8 or 10, but a lot older. I felt somewhat angry at some point that I had to live with all the results of the AVM for so many years. But that faded with time, realizing I should be grateful, not angry.

beans

51. No prior symptoms until it ruptured

I was 14, before that some symptoms e.g. back pain when sleep and legs weakness

1 Like

I had my bleed when I was 37 - the date was July 29, 2003. It happened at work and I all of the sudden had a massive headache and then just fell on the floor. I was in a coma for 10 days and then sent to a rehab that I stayed at for 2 years. I have a lot of sequel from this event. I deal with tone (pretty badly)I have some trouble with word finding and I have had 7 orthopedic surgeries. My balance is very bad and I use a wheelchair in the community.

Beth

1 Like

It was 1 years ago...when I was 23 years old...
now I'm 24 years old...

I heard that AVM seldom hemorrhage after 50 years old.

I discovered mine age 49 :(

That was my understanding too. Although some people seem to think age increases the risk. Its difficult to find information that confirms either way.

I think that's because there are so many individual variables like genetics, lifestyle choices, other health conditions, calcification... The neurosurgeon I consulted in 2011 at age 55 said if I had bled in the last year or so he highly recommended surgery BUT since my only confirmed bleed was in 1975 the risks of surgery were greater than the risk of another bleed

I can't read, but I can write...
but I start study with my family and go on vacation to relieve my mind...and I think it worked, in 4 month I can read again...
and by the way the doctor said that age does take part on the healing factor, and also happy mind tend to heal your body quicker...

I was 30…had a headache for a week due to heavy weight lifting, which in turn a CT was done as a precaution & AVM discovered…had a bleed 1 month later…I was very athletic as far as boxing, martial arts, weight lifting, soccer etc & to think the risk I had without knowing I had an AVM…maaaan it’s scary… God bless!