Hello! My name is Marcia

I currently live in Florida, but am moving to Oregon in June. I am 38 years old. Married with a 4yr old son. I am a disabled military veteran and former Pharmacy Technician. In 2011 I had a seizure and they found an AVM in my Left temporal lobe about 6cm. I was told that GammaKnife was the best option, so they did the procedure in 2014. 3 months later I was in the hospital with “stroke-like” symptoms. My brain was swelling due to the radiation. I was on steroids for 6 weeks. I was told I had 1cm in diameter of dead brain tissue. The end result, my AVM has shrunk very little and I have no sensory perception on my right side, my motor skills cause me to fall frequently, I have short term and some long term memory loss. Headaches, tired all the time, mood swings, slightly blurry vision in right eye, to name the ones we know of.

Oh my goodness, Marcia! What a journey you’ve had!

Welcome to the avm survivors web site. I hope you will find support here from folk going through troubles similar to yours. Having an AVM is a rare thing but hopefully, being together in this community, we can support each other.

Your story looks a little incomplete. If your computer dropped out before you finished, you can click on the grey pencil underneath your text and add anything that got missed off.

Very best wishes,

Richard

1 Like

no, i just couldn’t get my phone to delete the last three words. but thank you for your reply and encouraging words!

You’re welcome. We’re all here to stick together.

I’ve got rid of the spare words for you! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Wow!! How traumatic for you and your family! My heart goes out to you all. I’m in Florida as well, and have been thinking about moving out that way if my symptoms don’t subside. I can’t handle the sunshine! Out of curiousity, Is that why you are moving?

1 Like

It is hard on the family, but I have a great support system. That’s why I am moving, to be closer to more family. Plus, marijuana is legal there and it helps my symptoms.

1 Like

Hi Marcia,
Welcome to the club that nobody wants to be in(I’m fine just one of those days :neutral_face:). Good luck with your move and recovery!

1 Like

Hi Marcia:

Welcome to the AVM-ers club! We are here to lend support and to provide encouragement as you travel on your AVM journey. A journey none of us wanted to go on, but the choice wasn’t ours. As such, we support each other and we share advice when ever possible. Moving is quite stressful, so be careful not to over do it. Your Brain will let you know when its tired. Listen to it! Best of luck with your move. Again, welcome to the group.

Sharon D.

1 Like