Harry Potter

Okay, I know what you’re thinking: what does this have to do with my AVM? Shouldn’t I be posting this on a Harry Potter fan-site? What I wonder is, who else had a hard time finishing reading the Harry Potter series after an AVM bleed? My brain bleed was in 2006, which, as any fan knows, was between releases of books 6 and 7. I had spent the previous year wondering whose side Snape was truly on, while covering my desk at school with paper signs protesting against J.K. Rowling killing Harry in the final battle. The final novel was released eight months after my bleed, during a time when I hadn’t yet spent a day in class and “reading” for the novel study I had to do alongside my class (but I was doing it at home instead) meant my mom reading me a chapter while I took notes, me re-reading that chapter twice later, and then eventually typing up all of those notes. It was brutal. My dad read me “Deathly Hallows” when it came out, and while I wished I could have devoured it all in one sitting, we took it one chapter at a time, sadly with me staring blankly at the end of each chapter when my dad asked me questions about what had just happened. While the character deaths stuck with me (since many of them were predicted months before), I easily lost track of which Horcruxes were destroyed (confused also that there were now eight pieces of Voldemort’s soul, when Slughorn implied that even seven pieces would be impossible enough), as well as other simple details along the way.
I have re-read the book five times since then and I know what happens by heart now… but it took a lot of effort to get to this point!! Did anyone else have a brain bleed while waiting for a Harry Potter book release?

**oh geez, I have trouble remembering key points to most movies much less a complicated seven book series, if you are understanding even 60%of any Harry Potter stuff I’d say you are in success mode. My son is 13 and he hasn’t had a bleed, he’s perfectly healthy and smart and he says the storyline is complicated. I will trust him, and leave those books to you two. I doubt it’s you, bit even if it’s difficult, I have faith you will tackle it☀

-Lorna**

1 Like

At this point, I know all the details by heart! A lot was in my long-term memory already, but I guess I used a lot of it to practice improving my memory. Now I can watch the last two movies and know exactly what was included from the books and what wasn’t, even some of the one-liner jokes.

1 Like

It will come. Don’t give up☀

1 Like

Completely agree!

By the way, @Hermione711 I’d encourage everyone to share non-AVM stuff on the site… we all make our way through life and to think about or laugh about or cry about some of those things is just as worthwhile sharing!

Harry Potter is quite a complex set of books. Thanks for sharing!

Richard

2 Likes

I remember thinking about being in a coma and wondering, “Was this what it was like for Hermione when she was petrified by the Basilisk in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets?”

1 Like