Graves disease/hyperthyroidism- iodine in contrast advice!

Hi all,

A question for those that might have hyperthyroidism/Graves disease…

I have been waiting for allergy testing to contrast (previous reaction years ago)… However since waiting I have became very ill and diagnosed with Graves hyperthyroidism, and have been advised to avoid all iodine…

I’m now in remission.

Which brings me to my next question…

My understanding is that the contrast used for angio, contains Iodine!
I have spoken to some others on a Graves forum, telling me to avoid at all costs as they became very unwell after an iodine contrast given to them (doctors assured them there was very little iodine in it)…

Wondered if anyone had previous knowledge or experience with this…
Obviously I want to get the angio over and done with (I can’t deny I’m petrified)… but I don’t want to put myself at double risk of allergy PLUS setting off my hyperthyroidism, with this contrast…

Are there any alternatives to this iodine containing contrast??
Does anyone know anything??

I will speak to everyone about this, but would like to inform myself as best as possible before hand.

Thank you all, any advice sincerely appreciated :slight_smile:

I did have a search through our forum for Graves and found no help. This was the article I read the other day…

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3563887/

Another interesting article…

Thanks again Richard, you’re a star!! I did a search myself but came across conflicting advice…
I do have an appt with my Endocrinologist tomorrow (not that they have ever been much use to be honest)… And so I will ask him.
My angio anxiety is already bad enough without all this too!!!
I fought really hard to get myself into remission with Graves using natural medicine, it would be so upsetting to make myself ill again from the contrast (not to mention possible/likely allergy?!) on top of everything else going on!..

Thanks again for all your help

@Angela4

I know you have an intolerance of iodine. Have your doctors ever indicated hyperthyroidism or Graves disease to you? Do they use any prophylactic, i.e. preventative measures?

Thanks,

Richard