Gabapentin someone here using it for neurophatic pain?

Hi Rita. I take gabapentin for nerve pain–the pins and needles type and I take baclofen for spasms. Both work for me. I had an adjustment period where it made me soooo tired and brain foggy, but now it’s not so bad. My leg feels like wood sometimes too. It’s impossible to predict when it will feel worse, but it always feels heavier than my other leg. The weather definitely effects my symptoms. When it is cloudy my leg from the knee down is has pins and needles bad and lots of painful spasms. When this happens I take extra gabapentin and baclofen. I find that if I lie down and rest it helps alot, but I can’t lie down at work so those times suck.
My sister-in-law had back surgery 20 years ago and her foot is still numb, so I expect some of the numbness I have will remain, but I still hope for a full recovery. I do stretches every day and I do PT 2x a week. I am trying to eat a cleaner diet…real food…veggies and fruit…i find that when I eat alot of sugar my symptoms are worse…I love sugar so this makes me sad LOL
I try to get massages: myofacial massage is really good. Really really good. I am going to have accupuncture on the 17th. I am anxious to see how I feel after that!
I hope that you are able to find a medication or treatment that helps you.
:slight_smile: Joanne

1 Like

Hi Joanne :slight_smile: thanks for the tips, my scenario is exactly like yours! Fortunately I still haven´t returned to work, I´m also expecting a full recovery and that these are effects of gammaknife :confused: I did acupunture (40 sessions) honestly it did nothing…but I prefer to try everything before trying medication. I´m also noticing that when I eat bad it gets worse yes! And cloudy days…I hate them! Thank God I live in Portugal where we have 300 days of sun per year!

1 Like

I too @RitaF have tried accupuncture and the 1st place my needles came out of my head by themselves…this happened twice and I did not move or take them out. Then I went to a different person did not help with my avm pain or leg pain from my stroke but did help a few times for a migraine and my TMJ. I think it works for some things but not everything.

Hi I had tried titrating myself off gabapentin and also propranolol. However there has been some change in my symptoms and I am back on the gabapentin. Also looking into some natural products to see if they can help a bit. I have not tried acupuncture but will g to try anything that helps the symptoms. I do continue to work full time but finding it a struggle. Have applied to reduce my hours over 6 months ago so hopefully this can be arranged. Take care everyone. Amanda😁

Hi, Rita!

I didn’t have neuropathic pain after neurosurgery 24 years ago! Two years later I developed “chronic pain syndrome”, trying acupuncture, P.T., medication, etc… Later, it was diagnosed as “fibromyalgia”. Gabapentin reduced the neuro pain by about 30%. That was significant for me, when nothing else had worked. As reported, gabapentin can often cause sleepiness, so I can only tolerate a low dose. Worth a try.

1 Like

Hi Rita, my names Les and I take Gabapentin. I take Gabapentin for neuropathic pain. If i don’t take it I get extreme burning sensations in my right shoulder and ARM. I really don’t have side effects from it. I’ve been taking Gabapentin in excess of eight years now. However, I have heard that some people that experience withdrawal sympton’s when they stop taking Gabspentin. That’s the best I can say about Gabapentin.

1 Like

Hi! I tried Gabapentin but didn´t work…however the burning pain changed to a numbness pain, this is such a weird feeling that I don´t know how to explain, but probably you understand! My neuro said it was the scar in the brain healing and now probably is the gammaknife causing the weird sensation/pain/feeling, so I´m not taking anything at the moment, I just wish this reach a tolerable level for me to go on with my lifel…any of you had gammaknife?

I have burning all day in my hand and foot. Incredible permanent pain. Marijuana stops it.

Sorry to hear it and glad you have found a solution! I used to smoke in special occasions and now I didn´t try it because I´m waiting to gammaknife to work and I´m afraid it can make my ruptured artery weeker, but can you work under the effect of marijuana?

It’s taken time but yes I can.

I take Gabapentin and so far it is not giving me any relief from the burning pain. I am 5 weeks post surgery and still have numbness and pain in my right arm and hand. The left side of my body feels heavier than the right? I am hoping this changes soon. Can anyone suggest something beside Gabapentin for the burning pain? Sometimes I think I am rushing my recovery but I just want to feel normal and get back to my life. Reading everyone’s stories on this site has given me a lot of encouragement.

I´m not taking anything at the moment, the burning pain passed a year and a half after the bleeding…the numbness I still have till today (I will make 2 years after the bleeding next month) I´m hoping everything become residual…these odd or painful sensations…gabapentin didn´t worked for me neither phisio or acupunture…to me is really a question of time :confused: I hope yours go away soon!

8 years on. The pain is no better. Methadone had no effect. Only natural remedies. Sorry if you can’t find any.

Gabapentin somewhat helps my son with nerve pain that presents as intense itching. We are now also trialing Naltrexone but it’s too soon to tell. Cannabis oil will be coming in further down the track when the radiation has done it’s job as it has been shown effective on nerve damage but if we do it now we risk shutting down the radiation.