Flying before removal surgery?

At the end of July, I will be flying from TN to CA to a conference with my company, and after I purchased tickets and my flight a friend said I should make sure it’s safe for me to fly as I’ve never flown. When I called my neurosurgeon, in waiting, he has moved and I will need to be seen fresh with a new one and my last scan hasn’t been in about 18 months and can not be done by the time needed for me to cancel tickets.

So, has anyone ever flown before knowing about your AVM, or before having surgery to remove it? Should I cancel my trip? I do remembering when first speaking with my neurosurgeon, the risks went up slightly with each year, but I had spent my entire life in amusement parks and he said I could continue roller coasters if I felt good, and I’ve heard that take off and landing can be compared to a roller coaster at points?

I’m rambling… I’m scared, and finally found something for me just a few days for me, and now it feels like I need to forget about me once again.

I flew before my second in embo last year in my neurosurgeon did not have any problem with it. I still suggest you consult with someone before flying.

I used to work for the airlines and had flown hundreds of times. Once my avm was found I was told not to fly or scuba dive until it was taken care of because of the pressure changes. I think it’s just a precaution.

Jason, Agree with you that in the most part its a precaution, The way I was told when discussing flying was how long do you think it will take you to get medical help when your on an aircraft ?, I mean surgical help, The same could be said about living alone also !, I would say weigh up the risk of it given your knowledge of your own condition and make the decision and stick to it.

Thanks guys. I will be asking my neurologist again in person at my appointment next month, so hopefully I can get a clear answer.
I’ve never flown before so how does the pressure change? I thought planes were pressurized so it wouldn’t change that much. It’s a cross country flight with a layover both way so the longest flight will be 4h30m so I don’t think medical help will be that hard to get too, compared to being at home all day with little ones and the closest hospital that is equip to help being 1h driving distant away.

They have to pressurize the cabin because at high altitudes the air pressure is less. However, it’s still not the same as ground level. That’s why people have problems with their ears.